PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma borellii "Belle Union" F1s

Apisto Jim
03-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I haven't made it to many meetings since I got the parent Apistos from Ken Davis' collecting in Uruguay, so I thought I would show pictures of the first 3 F1 males to mature. I will be holding these guys for breeding but there will be plenty of their brothers in the spring auction. Each will be bagged with two females from a separate pair I also bred.

The trailing edge of their dorsal and anal fins extend about 1/2" beyond the end of the caudal (tail) fin. Their ventral fins are also very extended - you can see this in the third picture. Note there is a second male behind the closeup fish trying to photo bomb.

They are a purplish blue with yellow accents which seems most true to life in the second photo.

I will not be selling any fish prior to the auction, and I plan to have at least 10 trios entered.

Larry Bugg
03-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Beautiful Jim.

Elleabridges
03-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Now that is a gorgeous fish--! Wish try could live with angelfish.

Demonfish
03-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the incentive to sell fish and clean out tanks to make room.

wps
03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Beautiful. Can't wait to bid!

Best,
Pat (WPS)

Apisto Jim
03-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Update - brotherly love ran out last night. After spending all day chasing each other I found two locked in the jaws of death with the third close by encouraging the combatants. They did not release each others jaws until they were netted and completely out of the water. Moved one to a different tank and inserted a divider between the two remaining behind. Half an hour later I found one had gone over the divider and was locking jaws again with the third fish.

I had forgotten what fun it is to raise teenagers.

fishbubbles
03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Can't wait to bid on them! They are gorgeous!

mstamper
04-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Jim,

I was lucky enough to win one of the trio's you had for sale. I look forward to seeing them grow and color up and if I am lucky enough, maybe even produce some fry.

Thanks for bringing them and thanks for chatting with me Sunday.

BTW, just how large is the "Metropolitan Cumming" area? Is it bigger than "metropolitan Duluth"? HA HA

Mark

Demonfish
04-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Like duluth, cumming has a small city center but a lot of "metro" (same zip code?) area, probably more than duluth. From the fulton border up to Dawsonville.

Sorry I missed this fish. Winners, bring you BAP fry to meetings.

Apisto Jim
04-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Mark,

As Elaine said I live outside of the cosmopolitan capital of Cumming in Forsyth county. Never been comfortable saying that "I'm near Cumming."

Your fish should mature similar to mine above. As I have pulled the dominant males from the grow out tank the next in line will start growing streamers and color up. I can already see the difference in the 9 males left from the first breeding of my preferred wild male. Having two females to impress should accelerate the development of your male.

Elaine,

In addition to the 9 males remaining from his first spawn, my preferred wild male has now spawned with 5 wild females and number 6 is waiting on tank space. He is one happy fish. I hope to bring trios to every meeting - and I think my schedule is now enough under my control to make most meeting.

Jim

Demonfish
04-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Great, though it looks like I have conflict in May, grr.

ahud
05-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I hope this species gets passed around the club, maybe some will still be around for the next auction. Very nice fish.

wps
05-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Mine have already produced fry. I wasn't expecting them so soon so I'm leaving the trio together (only other fish is a Ancistrus). So far, (about a week) the females is doing a good job of protecting them. I've been feeding frozen brine shrimp and dry food. Just got some new brine shrimp eggs today so will be hatching those. My microworm culture went bad. So far the fry seem to be doing well although they seem to like the dry food more than the frozen brine shrimp.

Best,
Pat

ahud
05-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Any updates on these? Did fry get passed around?

wps
05-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Any updates on these? Did fry get passed around? Not sure if you were talking to me, but my fry from this group are about 3 weeks old and doing well. Never did get the brine shrimp hatchery going so they have been eating frozen brine shrimp, micro worms and dry food. Looks like I have around 20 fry at this point. I believe I started with about 30 but it was hard to tell for sure. The trio are all together with an albino pleco in a 30 gallon.

Best, Pat

ahud
05-27-2013, 04:32 PM
I was just interested in general. I'd really like to get some fry once they get spread around. The club usually does a great job of giving everybody a shot at them.

fishfarm
06-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I have an extra wild female is anyone needs her.

kwseiders
06-03-2013, 07:24 AM
I have an extra wild female is anyone needs her.

If you breed her with a F1, are the babies F1.5?

andyl9063
01-19-2014, 10:46 AM
bumping this thread. any updates on the borelli?
I saw pictures from ken's trip to Uruguay and wanted a borelli bad!
Is there more available?

Aquatic_Adam
03-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Those are absolutely gorgeous fish! I have always known borelli to be pretty but man! I underestimated them :)

Are you still bringing the upwards of 10 trios to the auction? I may have to clear out some space for these bad boys!

Can you divulge into your breeding set up for them? I have never kept borelli, but as I remember, they are a smaller breed right? Do you keep single females in 10gs?

ronv
03-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Are you still bringing the upwards of 10 trios to the auction?
That was the 2013 spring auction. A year ago. But last I heard, Jim will be at this years auction as well. He will be the guy running the "buy it now table". I think he still has offspring from those fish.

Apisto Jim
03-19-2014, 08:56 AM
I will be bringing more to the auction - not sure how many

peathenster
03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Jim's got the best borellii. This is a trio I got from him 4 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0EW4qhsKpc

Aquatic_Adam
03-20-2014, 12:03 PM
I will be bringing more to the auction - not sure how many

Jim. Are you able to maintain the vibrant wild color in the next generations? I have found and read that often times in borelli, they can lose this. You should bring some! You will have at least me bidding on them ;)

Shangsta
03-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Any word on how many you will be bringing to the auction?

fishfarm
03-29-2014, 08:24 PM
I will have wild ones this time too.

Apisto Jim
03-31-2014, 01:48 PM
Jim. Are you able to maintain the vibrant wild color in the next generations? I have found and read that often times in borelli, they can lose this. You should bring some! You will have at least me bidding on them ;)

So far my F2 males are holding the blue color - but I feed live food (gammarus and daphnia) that are fed a lot of spirulina. My challenge has been in getting the red fins Ken has witnessed in the wild. Some males and females will have a reddish tinge to their unpaired fins while young, but it turns yellow as they mature. I'm increasing dried rotifers to their diet while young in addition to their daily baby brine shrimp, and the daphnia are being fed a lot of Astaxanthin algae, but so far no red tails on mature males. Mike Hellweg has suggested adding red cherry shrimp which I am working into their diets.