PDA

View Full Version : Red Koi Angels - Long wait

Larry Bugg
04-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Eight months ago I bought a group of 17 angels from Peter. I bought them because I REALLY wanted two of the 17. Five of the group were Red Koi angels from Bill Culver and two of them were supposed to be a high coverage proven pair. Peter told me up front that the pair had never spawned for him but that didn't deter me any. Well they never spawned for me either. I put them back in the community tank with the others. Keep in mind that these guys were very young and still developing. Two of the younger ones continued to develop the deep red color and eventually paired and produced fry. The original male paired off with one of the lesser females and produced wigglers so I knew he was good to go. I put the high coverage male in with the proven female from the other pair and after several failed attempts they finally got it right. The lighting in the video really doesn't do these guys justice. Those of you that have seen this pair know just how deep the red really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZCN0iQqhwM&feature=youtu.be

peathenster
04-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Sweet! You really took good care of them :thumbsup: Really amazing colors.

Larry Bugg
04-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks Peter. Normally I would have given up by now and moved on but you know when I first saw them I was hooked. It has been really cool to watch the color develop in these guys. I had read about the really red koi's taking a long time to color up and they did. The pair was already very red but the other 3 were barely orange and now they are amazing. The female in the pair has also started showing more of the high coverage with a lot of orange in the body in addition to the very red shoulders.

The Albino Pinoys have also layed eggs several time now but still not fertile. Hopefully I will have a proven pair before long.

peathenster
04-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Food and care also play a big role, but you probably find them easy compare to discus ;)

I've gotten albino fry before from a pair of hets. They looked very different (well, like albino) from their siblings from day 1. I didn't know the parents carried albino alleles and thought the fry were deformed, so I chucked them all... I'm not sure if homozygous albinos would have reduced fertility though. These came from Mile Gibbs. Let me know if you want his contact info. Great guy.

SaraMCB
05-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Wow Larry those are stunning angels! I'm excited for you that you finally have wrigglers!

stevenjohn21
05-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Wow ! If the video does not do them justice then I can't imagine how cool they look in real life !