PDA

View Full Version : Plant ID - Aponogeton or Cryptocoryne?

Igster
05-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for making a new member feel right at home ;) ...among the loot er, plants that I was able to bid successfully on at the end of the meeting was a bag marked "potted aponogetons"... I was able to take them all apart and am wondering what they actually are, as they seem to have no bulbs? The closest pic I can find is an A. bruggenii or maybe A. distachyos(sp?), or a couple of crypts, seeing as there were no bulbs but rather a sort of clump of roots just like vallisnerias, and there was actually what looked like a "runner" between two plants...in any event, I planted them between two tanks - in w/ CO2 and one with just sand but plenty of light. Neat little plants, I hope to be able to get them to multiply :) Hmmm, time to look into the HAP, methinks...

See y'all next meeting :)

Mark V.

kwseiders
05-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Mark, Those looked like Aponogeton to me. Aponogeton don't all have bulbs like we usually think of bulbs (onion or daffodil). In fact, most of mine don't have any bulb at all. I would call it more of a 'swelling' at the root. Those looked like Aponogeton natans. I think Bob Major brought them, and I bought a pot of Aponogeton natans from him 4 years ago, and it is still going strong. Mine have flowered, produced seeds and new plants. Let them grow for a little while, and you will be better able to tell what they are.

BobMajor
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
they are in fact what Ken said.I brought them to the auction and have grow them for many years in my tanks.I have found that if you crowd them ,like in the pot I sold ,they tend to stay smaller and make a nice blanket on the tank bottom.If they have more room they will get taller and eventualy send up stalks with a leaf on the end that floats on the water surface.At this stage they usually produce a spike of small white flowers that self germenate..The flowers turn into 1/4 "greem pods that will float for several days before sinking and immediatly start rooting in the gravel

Garfieldnfish
05-06-2013, 10:06 AM
I had those green pods before, fished them out and tossed them away. Now I feel like an idiot.

Igster
05-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks, guys! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the flower stalks...

Mark V

Igster
05-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Speaking of which, I noticed a flower stalk on one plant yesterday...already halfway to the surface...yeehaw!

Igster
07-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Those aponogetons that are in my "no CO2" tank have started shooting longer leaves, that are undulated. Totally different than how they originally looked. Very interesting...

Igster
07-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Well, the now long-leaved aponogeton (natans, methinks?) is flowering:

majerah1
07-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Very nice! Apons are one of my favorite plants, and one of the first I was successful in growing.