PDA

View Full Version : Frogbit?

Igster
05-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Is frogbit like salvinia, except that the leaves are smoother(not "fuzzy") and slightly elongated (spear-tipped) rather than round? I think I have a mix of the two in a couple of my tanks...

kwseiders
05-22-2013, 03:38 PM
2001Frogbit looks like this. (The big stuff, not the little duckweed between the leaves)

Igster
05-22-2013, 04:10 PM
*Hmmm*...OK...thanks! Now, *scratching head*...what's this stuff? I know the one in the middle is salvinia, but the larger ones around it are what's stumping me...

byork
05-22-2013, 05:36 PM
It's hard to see the picture on my phone but it looks like young water lettuce to me. That would be fuzzy when it go a little bigger.

Igster
05-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Nope - it doesn't get any bigger, is not as hairy, and doesn't develope the huge root system or leaf ridges that water lettuce has.

kwseiders
05-23-2013, 07:25 AM
I know this. It is water lettuce. The reason it doesn't get bigger, hairier nor develop large root systems is that it does not have ideal growing conditions. If you were to take it outside and let it grow in the sunshine (like in a pond) it would develop all those things. But growing in an aquarium (where you thin the herd from time to time) they don't have a chance to get any larger. When I take a large 8 inch water lettuce, and put it in an aquarium, it will shrink to this size. All the new plants will be this size. But when they are transplanted (i.e thrown) into the pond, they immediately get larger. I had just one growing in a 20 gallon tank, and it got about 6 inches (I think Len & Marcie got that some while ago). It's all about the growing conditions.

Igster
05-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Cool..I'll toss a couple in a tub I have out on the deck & see how long they take to cover the surface :)