PDA

View Full Version : Crytocara moorii "blue dolphin" cichlid

ronv
06-02-2013, 05:06 PM
My 120 gal tank was cleaned out and all inhabitants were sold at the club meeting yesterday. The tank now contains a subadult group of C. moori and they are really pretty fish. It's only been about an hour and they are already out swimming around and seem to be at home. I bought these fish at the 2012 spring auction as 1" fry so they are a probably 18 mo. old or so. Does anyone out there have experience with these fish? (I didn't keep a record of who I bought them from). I read on the internet that they need to 2 years old to spawn so it may still be awhile for me.

Demonfish
06-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I have a group I got from Ala as tiny fry. In a 55, they've had exactly one fry for me and it was pretty early on. They were likely only 3" when they spawned. The dominant male defended the top of an inverted strawberry pot. I think you will likely have to strip them as females can't swim off in a brooding school like in the lake. I think I also may only have one female. There isn't much aggression, so I think they are probably pretty seasonal spawner as well. They are overcrowded, but they don't hurt each other. A 120 would be nice for these, I wish I had the space. the eat anything, you can crush snails for them.

CHOPPER
06-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I have a breeding group that I have had good luck with I raised them them from one inch or so and they are slow to spawn mine are over two years old and now they spawn all the time.once they are holding I just watch them for a couple of weeks and net her they most of the time spit the fry right away or I drop her in a small bucket and she spits them . I have all I can deal with due to the fact that they grow slow and a big female will spit 20 or 30 fry. most of the time I just let them eat the fry.