PDA

View Full Version : Planted tank beginner

Kevin
06-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Trying to set up my first planted tank. I've only done fake plants till now with my fish. Looking to set up a low light tank with 48" T5 normal output, 2 bulb, and seeking any advice. I'd run it with regular gravel plus a few root tabs. I've read on plantedtank.net that Rootmedic (RM) tabs are very good and just looking for other brands to consider and personal experiences with them. It's a 55 long and I'd like a third to be planted and/or covered in moss. Would infrequent gravel cleaning and a couple root tabs be enough for nutrients? Any advice is appreciated.

Possible plants
-Vallisneria
-Blyxa Japonica
-Water Wisteria
-Sagittaria

Any more low light plants would be appreciated. Root tab advice. Planted tank advice.

Demonfish
06-13-2013, 02:53 AM
Come to the meeting and buy a "bag o' plants", see what does well in your tank.

Mog Carns
06-13-2013, 07:02 AM
The root tabs aren't even needed.

Wisteria and Amazon Swords need nothing more than fish in the water and the lights turned on.

Igster
06-13-2013, 07:08 AM
What Demon sez ;) try a few of the hardier ones first. There are always some good "bags o' plants" at every meeting - your choice of with or without the special bonus ingredient pond snails ;)

I have two planted tanks - one is a 55 with injected CO2, daily fertilization, laterite/gravel substrate and 2 T5 HO grow bulbs, and the other a 90-gallon that started out as a bare bottom discus grow-out tank. I added play sand as a substrate and have been putting in my cuttings from thr 55; no CO2 or ferts, and a simple T5 strip fixture with two 6700K bulbs. I dunno why, but the plants are flourishing - not as fast growing, but definitely growing. Mostly hygro, some italian vallisneria, water sprite, bolbitis, hornwort, a few aponogetons, and some potted swords that get root tabs every 6 months or so.

Go for it - find your inner green wet thumb!

Kevin
06-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Considering the 2 bulb aqualife T5 HO fixtures. I'd like to put a hood on the top and planning on building the hood myself. Would it be possible to suspend the T5 HO fixture from a canopy hood? If I go this route would I have to worry about how much heat the fixture puts off? All options on the table.

Also, I've heard about these meetings but can I get more info. or a link about when? where? what? Thanks

Mog Carns
06-21-2013, 11:44 PM
http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/showthread.php?7696-Club-Picnic

I am sure someone will give the directions to Ken's house soon.

Hilde
07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Any more low light plants would be appreciated.

Easiest plants are Anubias. Ferns, Hydrocotyle, Wisteria and Cypts. My favorite crypt is the crypt spiral. It grows very tall and looks similar to the vals. The Crypts need rich substrate. You can do a dirt tank. Easiest dirt substrate is Scott's top soil mixed with sand or special kitty litter 2:1. Then you top it with sand. River sand from a landscaper is my favorite. Cost aprox. $10

Your tank is 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21? If you can build a canopy seems a cheap solution is to get a T5 HO light strip at home depot. I could be wrong though. Always best to compare prices first.

Hilde
07-01-2013, 10:33 AM
meeting info here http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/content.php