PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Labs

Tulip Rai
07-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey, can someone tell me do Yellow Labs have stripeslike on their body? 2 of my females have some unclear, not too dark lines. but my other 2 females and a male do not have. :confused1:

Demonfish
07-08-2013, 05:25 PM
some do. faint stripes or even a light checkerboard can show up in young, female or stressed fish. But some strains have few or no lines, always a bright, solid yellow and they are considered more desirable as people tend to fear hybrid lineages in a "muddy" fish.

Tulip Rai
07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
some do. faint stripes or even a light checkerboard can show up in young, female or stressed fish. But some strains have few or no lines, always a bright, solid yellow and they are considered more desirable as people tend to fear hybrid lineages in a "muddy" fish.
oh and my fry of 1" do have stripes too coz the mother had it. is it normal for fry to have? or are they hybrid? just want to make sure. coz i didn't see while spawn, but of course the female and male yellow labs were trying to spawn

Demonfish
07-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Yes, it is normal in some bloodlines. The ones with stripes on females often have mustaches on males as well. But mbuna hybridize easily. Avoid fish with the same colors or genuses in the same tank. And if you plan to breed fish, choose the best-looking parents you can find.

Tulip Rai
07-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Yes, it is normal in some bloodlines. The ones with stripes on females often have mustaches on males as well. But mbuna hybridize easily. Avoid fish with the same colors or genuses in the same tank. And if you plan to breed fish, choose the best-looking parents you can find.

oh okay thanks. well, now i don't think they are hybrid. coz i have a male and had 4 females, but 1 died 2 days ago. thanks

ronv
07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
oh okay thanks. well, now i don't think they are hybrid. coz i have a male and had 4 females, but 1 died 2 days ago. thanks

What other cichlids were in the tank?

Tulip Rai
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
What other cichlids were in the tank?

Lots of Mbunas, 2 Jewels and 2 convicts

Demonfish
07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Seeing the stripes can mean stressed fish. Change water and watch for aggression damage like notched fins or missing scales.

ronv
07-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Could be hybrid even if you had both male and female labs in the tank. Sometimes the most dominant male mbuna in the tank will spawn with females of other mbuna species.

Tulip Rai
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
thankyou for your help.