PDA

View Full Version : Betta Albimarginata released

gloriousbettas
07-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Happy, happy, happy!!! My F1 B. Albi released fry yesterday.

Kendra

Demonfish
07-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Congrats....

majerah1
07-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Yay! Albis are one of my favs, and were my first wild.

HN1
07-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Gratz Kendra! :)

heatherbeast
07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
What wonderful news! I bet you're over the moon. :)

Igster
07-29-2013, 12:08 PM
How often do you feed these lil guys? I've gone down to about 5 simplex fry from my original 30...i normally feed them 3 times a day during the week - once in the morning before going to work, once when I get home, and again about 1/2 before bed. I have noticed a few that jumped the fry-saver and are in the tank itself, but trying to spot feed them microworms is nigh on impossible... but they do seem to be proficient at hunting infusoria among the hornwort/water sprite at the surface...

BTW my male albi is still holding...any day now :)

gloriousbettas
07-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Mark, I feed mine 4-6 times a day. I take the female out of the tank when the male holds about 3-4 days and it looks like he will continue. I remove the male after he releases the fry and put him in a smaller tank alone so he can rest, recoup and eat. I personally leave the fry in the tank they were released in. I do not feed micro worms, but many people do.
The plants are a great source of infusoria. Glad to hear your Albi is still holding. I feed my b. splendens fry vinegar eels for the first two weeks. My wild bettas, I also use VE (just because I don't use BBS altho most people do) for about a week. I also add the smallest daphnia moina which will be eaten when they can. I also use the 50 Micros Golden Pearls as a supplement (just a small amount on a toothpick). Everyone seems to have their own method. This one works for me.

AG36
07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Love to see some pictures of the parents, I'm guessing you will eventually sell off the young ?

Igster
08-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Woot woot......ours must be sync'd or something, because when I turned on the lights this morning I saw three albi fry in the fry saver... :)
They are pretty large, and it surprised me that they are also very dark compared to the simplex fry. Hopefully there will be a few more when I get home this afternoon .... Schweeeeet!

gloriousbettas
08-01-2013, 08:44 PM
YEAH! Yes, the Albi fry are good sized and black when they are released. Mine are doing great. Hope yours are too. They do grow slowly tho and you usually can not tell the genders until they are 4 1/2 to 6 months old.

Kendra

gloriousbettas
08-01-2013, 08:51 PM
I have pictures of the B. Albis in my album under "Gloriousbettas". I took some photos of the fry today, but have not downloaded yet. I also have a couple of videos of the parents on my website.

Kendra

Love to see some pictures of the parents, I'm guessing you will eventually sell off the young ?

Igster
08-02-2013, 06:03 AM
This moring I re-counted the fry...only 4 so far. They are huge, for the father's size - I think they are about 3/16 of an inch, while Daddy is just barely an inch +/-.... so. not many more could have fit in his mouth. He jumped out of the fry saver after releasing the first three and may have spit out another in the big tank before I caught him and put him in a critter keeper to recover, where I found another fry this morning. Green water and microworms all around...yummy!

gloriousbettas
08-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Great news. Four is good since the sire is not fully grown. My foundation pair are 2 years old now and are finally the 2" mark. Mine that just released 5 days ago is only about 1.5" and he is over a year old. The fry are eating green water and decap brine shrimp. Growing well. Glad to hear the pair spawned successfully for you.

Igster
08-09-2013, 09:09 AM
How long do you keep the male recovering separate from the female after he releases the fry?