PDA

View Full Version : German Blue Rams/Atlanta water

dtg
08-03-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking about setting up my 75 and stocking with German blue rams and a decent sized school of tetras, a few cories, and some otos. The tank would be moderately planted and have two large pieces of driftwood. I'm wondering if anyone has advice for me.

1. How do GBR do in Atlanta's water? I'm not brand new to the hobby, but I have never tried to mess with ph and really don't want to. I read that they like ph at 6.5 or lower. Can they adapt or am I setting myself up for failure.

2. If I wanted to try to breed them for fun, how many and what sex should I get for a 75? Should they be the only thing in the tank or could I have a school of Tetras and some Cories/otos in there with them?

3. Any other advice you can think of would be greatly appreciated. Where would you recommend I purchase them?

Demonfish
08-03-2013, 07:10 PM
1. Most of our water is perfect for rams, tetra, cories and the like. Its lake or river water with no hardness with a pH that drops with no additives. Some places do have well water, so a quick test or call to water supplier to confirm.

2. I would start with even sexes, maybe 6 and hope for two pairs. these fish are in demand and easy to rehome spares. You can start with other fish in there, but for breeding, species tanks are best. Tetra will pick off fry and rams will kill in defense of their young. I might keep 4 in the big tank and put a pair that hang out together in a 20 long for breeding.

3. 84F. They like it warm. a few caves. Buy from a breeder via this forum or our fall auction. Fish that have grown up in our local water are the most likely to thrive in yours. We have several people in the club already breeding these and more trying.

Larry Bugg
08-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Atlanta water is excellent for Rams. If you really want to breed Rams then a 75 is not the way to go. A 10 or 20 gallon tank is ideal. If you really want to breed Rams then they should be the only fish in the tank and one pair is ideal.

dtg
08-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Thx for the advice. I'll be setting this tank up in a few weeks. If you can think of members I might contact to purchase quality GBRs please let me know.

aquair
08-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Are you looking for the adults, or the fry?

ahabion
08-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I've got some 1 month fry but too young right now to sex.

My water params right now are:
ph - 7.6 consistently
tds - 20 (water out of faucet) to 200 (main tank, dirted planted tank -- i'm in and out of my tank pretty often)
3 dKH
3 dGH

and i get consistent breeding patterns from my rams right now. Fry are being raised in the same water parameters. I'm excited for my next set of fry wigglers I have. They're from my nice looking pair so they'll fun to see grow up.

I may have 5 GBR (3 male, 2 female) to sell you. I've had the two females for several months and are healthy and colorful. The 3 males I got from Ron over the weekend at the meet up and they're doing great. One of them has paired off with one of the females but the other two have had no luck trying to woo the other female. I need to make room for my EBR and Gold Rams though so I'll need to buy another few tanks or make room. (I'd prefer the latter) All fish are healthy and have been taking pretty much everything I've given them (flakes, pellets, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworms).

Let me know if you're in the market, wouldn't mind selling all 5.

dtg
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I've got some 1 month fry but too young right now to sex.

My water params right now are:
ph - 7.6 consistently
tds - 20 (water out of faucet) to 200 (main tank, dirted planted tank -- i'm in and out of my tank pretty often)
3 dKH
3 dGH

and i get consistent breeding patterns from my rams right now. Fry are being raised in the same water parameters. I'm excited for my next set of fry wigglers I have. They're from my nice looking pair so they'll fun to see grow up.

I may have 5 GBR (3 male, 2 female) to sell you. I've had the two females for several months and are healthy and colorful. The 3 males I got from Ron over the weekend at the meet up and they're doing great. One of them has paired off with one of the females but the other two have had no luck trying to woo the other female. I need to make room for my EBR and Gold Rams though so I'll need to buy another few tanks or make room. (I'd prefer the latter) All fish are healthy and have been taking pretty much everything I've given them (flakes, pellets, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworms).

Let me know if you're in the market, wouldn't mind selling all 5.

I'm trying to get young adults - maybe 3 or 4 months old would be ideal. 2 or 3 male and 4 female. I may try 7 young unsexed and hope for the best. I'm trying to get two pairs for the 75 and then the leftovers would go in the 20. How would I get these from you? Price? Could you text pic?
Daniel
678 231-4512

LokiSays
08-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Sorry to thread jack.. But I've had 5 GBR in my planted 55. PH 7.0 KH3 and GH4 and ammo nitrates and nitrites very low if not perfect. Temp is a consistent 80.. And they did fine for the first week or so and then I notice they're starting to pant/breathe heavily.. And one by one they started to die off.. All of my other fishes are fine and thriving.. To this day I can't figure out why.. So I just gave up. It made me pretty bummed cause they was very beautiful with great colors.. Also the fish was bought from a local petsmart..

dtg
08-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Yeah I saw some at the petsmart in buckhead at peachtree and piedmont. They hadn't been there long (I asked). I'm thinking its a better idea to buy from someone on here though. I think they'll refund you money though. Did you take them back to the store?

ahabion
08-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm trying to get young adults - maybe 3 or 4 months old would be ideal. 2 or 3 male and 4 female. I may try 7 young unsexed and hope for the best. I'm trying to get two pairs for the 75 and then the leftovers would go in the 20. How would I get these from you? Price? Could you text pic?
Daniel
678 231-4512

Was going to shoot a video of them and post them on youtube... they don't want to stay still for my cheap camera phone.

For all 5, you can have them for $20. The males have been fighting trying to gain dominant territory but they're looking pretty good. I work in West Midtown, so I can drop them off mid-day or meet you somewhere before or after work but preferably before or about mid day so they don't stay bagged too long.

ahabion
08-07-2013, 11:26 PM
here is the link. http://youtu.be/cyinndfJ6VI

LokiSays
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Yeah I saw some at the petsmart in buckhead at peachtree and piedmont. They hadn't been there long (I asked). I'm thinking its a better idea to buy from someone on here though. I think they'll refund you money though. Did you take them back to the store?

I did get a refund.. I first bought two and they died. Exchanged those two for another pair and they also died. So I just gave up cause I really hate losing fish.

ronv
08-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Pet shop rams have a habit of dying. I don't know why but it's not anything you did. It happened to everyone. Get a group from a club member. They will do much better.

Igster
08-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I've gotten rams from both club members and from some AB sellers...all beautiful fish, regular spawners. But, as they get older (and bigger!) they all seem to invariably develop the same disease - first it looks like they are getting a couple of pimples, , then it progresses to what looks like HITH. Sometimes they recover, but most of the time the "hole" gets ulcerated. Tank params are all fine (I think) - no ammonia, pH between 5-6, soft (with driftwood/oak leaves) temps between 78-82.

dtg
08-08-2013, 06:06 PM
here is the link. http://youtu.be/cyinndfJ6VI

Ok, I'll pm you when the tank is ready. I'm just transferring from work so I think I can keep it cycled. I've got 15 large neon tetras that I plan to put in there first. Then when everything seems fine I'll be ready to add rams. I'm not sure if I want the 5 adults or if I will want juveniles. I'll know by the time the tank is set. Maybe your juveniles will be larger by then and ready to sell.

ahabion
08-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Ok, I'll pm you when the tank is ready. I'm just transferring from work so I think I can keep it cycled. I've got 15 large neon tetras that I plan to put in there first. Then when everything seems fine I'll be ready to add rams. I'm not sure if I want the 5 adults or if I will want juveniles. I'll know by the time the tank is set. Maybe your juveniles will be larger by then and ready to sell.

I would go for the juvies... they're only about 1 month old and i've got a new batch right behind it. (if I were you) I would get a set of males from this batch and then a set of females from the other batch. They are from two different sets of parents so they'll breed fine. Males first so they can get established in the tank and get their territory settled and then the females. Please shoot me a PM when you're ready and I'll let you know the status of the juvies.

Joe3600
10-08-2013, 06:43 AM
New member looking for electric blue rams. Do you have any for sale? If not can you direct me joe3600

ronv
10-08-2013, 09:12 AM
I think Ken D. said he is planning to bring some to the auction Sunday.