View Full Version : Albino Celestial Pearl Danio

08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Here is a photo of an albino (amelanistic) CPD I have in my little tank. A quick search on the internet didn't turn up any others out there, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen any around? I did see a reference to both yellow and orange forms, but I don't think that it was referring to a fish like this.

I know the photo needs work, sorry for the lousy detail. :)

08-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Cool. However, I thought that true albino would have red eyes. I may be wrong.

Larry Bugg
08-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Cool. However, I thought that true albino would have red eyes. I may be wrong.

I believe you are correct. Albinos have red eyes.

08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Yup,while they look dark in the photo, they actually are bright blue.

08-13-2013, 10:10 AM
I just checked my tank of juveniles and also saw one that looked very light in color. Not as light as yours in the picture but much lighter than the others. It appears to be a female and 2 other CPDs were chasing it.
Could this be stress colors from being chased and yours are breeding? However, when my adults breed, the females do not change colors. I will keep an eye on it and the next batch of fry to see if they are truly a different color fish.

08-13-2013, 04:33 PM

08-13-2013, 08:36 PM
I put albino in b/c I thought that would be more familiar to everyone. :) My belief is that the fish is amelanistic, as it is exhibiting orange in the fins and has blue eyes. I will probably try to net it out and move it to a planted tank solo to see if it has indeed blanched itself due to stress. That will also make it a bit easier to photograph.

08-14-2013, 07:16 AM

My thought too, similar to the 'gold' tinfoil barbs!

08-14-2013, 07:25 AM
how did you come by this fish? did you buy it or breed it?

08-21-2013, 08:11 AM
I bought this one as part of a larger group of juveniles. I have moved it to a nano tank by itself and I will get some more photos this weekend. It still hasn't darkened, so I think we can rule out stress fading.

08-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Here is a shot of the same fish after spending a week alone in (what was, before hose slipped) a planted nano. I'm still working on my fish photo skills, but it does show the color in the fins, the small black stripe on the body, and the body pattern.

As a side note, any idea how long it will take the Crypt. wendtii to recover from leaf drying due to a tank drain? My CO2 bell hose slipped off and siphoned about 1/2 the water out of the tank and left the leaves dry for a while before I got home from work. :(