PDA

View Full Version : My Fishroom Updated 08/20/13

Larry Bugg
08-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Been a while since I've done a updated video of my fishroom...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCIet5Y6xos&feature=youtu.be

Len will be the first to point out that I had gone discus only, well while I was probably a lot more successful breeding discus when the room was discus only, it just wasn't as much fun. I really love Dwarf Cichlids and Angels so half the fishroom has migrated back to them.

Pierre
08-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Thank you Larry for the video. I find it very useful as it raises several questions. I'm impressed with the water clarity and how clean the discuss tanks are.

How does your WC work? Seems that you have an in and out flow separated.
How often and how much WC do you do?
Seems that you are using 1 sponge filter per tank. How often to you rinse it?
What is the bottle with the white media (additional filtering?) seen with the Discus (2:21 min and 3:43 min). Did you make it yourself and what does it
consist of?
Why are you using heaters in each tank instead of heating the room?
I would be interested in seeing a video of feeding to gauge how much you give your fish.

Maybe some of our top members could made a presentation on how they build and maintain their fish room. I'm sure we could learn a lot.

That is all for now.

Perrin150
08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
So whats for sale Larry! Lol:snicker:

Larry Bugg
08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Thank you Larry for the video. I find it very useful as it raises several questions. I'm impressed with the water clarity and how clean the discuss tanks are.

How does your WC work? Seems that you have an in and out flow separated.
How often and how much WC do you do?
Seems that you are using 1 sponge filter per tank. How often to you rinse it?
What is the bottle with the white media (additional filtering?) seen with the Discus (2:21 min and 3:43 min). Did you make it yourself and what does it
consist of?
Why are you using heaters in each tank instead of heating the room?
I would be interested in seeing a video of feeding to gauge how much you give your fish.

Maybe some of our top members could made a presentation on how they build and maintain their fish room. I'm sure we could learn a lot.

That is all for now.

At one of our Summer picnics about 4 years ago or so we set up a screen and had pics of different members fish rooms playing. I like the idea of doing something like a panel discussion on something like this.

The tanks are drilled and plumbed to a drain that carries the water outside. I simple turn a valve on each tank to drain as much or as little as I want. I have two 330 gallon totes with stored water for my changes. Each tote has a pond pump submersed. The hoses connected to the pumps will reach all of the tanks in the room. The end of the hose has pvc attached in a u shape so it will hang on each tank. The pvc has a ball valve on it so I can easily shut off the flow of water at the tank. The pond pumps are on a remote control electric switch so I can use a remote key to start and stop the pump anywhere in the room. All of this allows me to work on several tanks at the same time. One tank will be draining while I siphon the bottom of another while one or two others are refilling. I can do a 50% to 100% water change on all the tanks in about an hour (excluding the two 125's in the center of the room. The amount of water I change and time between changes varies. The adult pairs of discus get a 50% to 100% change about every 3 days. When I have young discus growing out they will get 100% changes daily. The planted tanks with GBR, apistos and Angels get 50% changes once a week.

I'm not very good about cleaning the sponges but I do enough water changes that they don't get too bad.

The white media is K1. It creates a K1 moving bed filter. They are homemade. The K1 is multifaceted and is a great media for the good bacteria. Because it is rapidly moving and bouncing against each other it is self cleaning. I have them in all my tanks. You can find out a little more about it here.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98431-Crystal-Clear

My fishroom is in my unfinished basement. The basement is studded but no wallboard and ceilings are about 11' high. Unfinished means it is not heated or cooled space. Trying to heat the room would be very difficult. At some point I would like to get walls up and be able to heat the room.

Larry Bugg
08-20-2013, 03:32 PM
So whats for sale Larry! Lol:snicker:

No discus at this time.

I will have Electric GBR available in about a month. GBR will be in about 2 months. I have Apisto Mcmasteria unsexed for $5 each. I will be bringing Apisto agassizzi to the Sept meeting for BAP points. I will also have the pair in the Sept meeting auction. I have Koi angels nickle size for $8 each and I have Apisto Hongsloi that I will be bringing to the Sept meeting for BAP points.

HN1
08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Would I bring up discus only Larry? lol

Spectacular as always. Thanks for posting that. I'll bet you could give a great talk on your fish room and fish. (hint, hint). I'm glad you decided to stick with dwarfs. Your fish are always incredible.

I'm gonna need to bug you about soooo much once we are totally broke down enough to start planning the rebuild.

AShin
08-21-2013, 01:58 AM
Hhahaha those angle fish were the only ones w/ an attitude, the others were just lookin for grub or shy'd away. They are certainly beautiful and i'm certain we both agree that they make wonderful additions to a room. I'm currently working on seeing what filtration works for me and what doesnt i feel byt he end i'ma have 5 types of filters running on one tank + the over growth of java fern and other plants. I just bought 3 of those LEDs from Jim fur the other day and maaaaaaaan it made me go monkey mode LOl. Question: i saw the below post and (congrats on lucky 777's) was wondering if you have any other type of filtration other than the sponge and bio K1? Also i think i'd like some of those angels you said 8$ for the nickel sized ones

Larry Bugg
08-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Hhahaha those angle fish were the only ones w/ an attitude, the others were just lookin for grub or shy'd away. They are certainly beautiful and i'm certain we both agree that they make wonderful additions to a room. I'm currently working on seeing what filtration works for me and what doesnt i feel byt he end i'ma have 5 types of filters running on one tank + the over growth of java fern and other plants. I just bought 3 of those LEDs from Jim fur the other day and maaaaaaaan it made me go monkey mode LOl. Question: i saw the below post and (congrats on lucky 777's) was wondering if you have any other type of filtration other than the sponge and bio K1? Also i think i'd like some of those angels you said 8$ for the nickel sized ones

That is the only filtration that I run in my tanks. Keep in mind that these aren't show tanks but rather set up just for breeding. I do a lot of water changes so this is all the filtration that is needed. Yes, I have some of the angels that are available now.

peathenster
08-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Now that's a fish room! I'm totally jealous... I'll have some additional room soon to add a few more tanks but mine will never look at neat as yours...

Love those Orinoco Apistos. What happened to your wild discus tho?

Larry Bugg
08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Now that's a fish room! I'm totally jealous... I'll have some additional room soon to add a few more tanks but mine will never look at neat as yours...

Love those Orinoco Apistos. What happened to your wild discus tho?

Thanks for the compliments. I get a lot of satisfaction working in the fishroom. Definitely a labor of love.

I'm trying to get down to 4 or 5 breeding pair of discus. I couldn't ever get any of the wilds to even show signs of pairing off so I have sold all my wilds. Maybe one day I will give them a shot again.

ikevi
08-21-2013, 12:12 PM
At one of our Summer picnics about 4 years ago or so we set up a screen and had pics of different members fish rooms playing. I like the idea of doing something like a panel discussion on something like this.

I like how the setup is looking now Larry. Has it really been that long since we did the fish room shots at Ron's? (Well the fact it as at Ron's house and not Ken's says it all.)

Larry Bugg
08-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I like how the setup is looking now Larry. Has it really been that long since we did the fish room shots at Ron's? (Well the fact it as at Ron's house and not Ken's says it all.)

Well hey there!! How is life in Oregon?? You need to give us an update.

ikevi
08-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I will when I actually have fish to show... I got the basement done, tank stands are coming in on Friday (had them custom made.)

The fish room will be 3 sets of racks right now, 2 racks will likely have one 240, 4 120's. The middle rack will be 50's 70's and 40 breeders, with a top row that can hold ~12 10 gallons if I want them.

Once I get the stands in, and verify heights will work with the size tanks I want, good I will start having the tanks made. But I also am in the process of figuring out how I want to filter the tanks. Right now I plan on ~360 gallons per filter setup, with maybe some additional sponge filters. I might (gasp) even think about making one of the systems N2 planted. Hopefully in the next two months or so I will at least have one rack setup and going.

ChloroPhil
01-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Daaaang Larry, that's looking awesome. I'm seeing too much blue and not enough green in the tanks though. ;)