PDA

View Full Version : Species variation differentiation

byork
10-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Well I have been out of work a couple of weeks now and have decided to (stop cleaning :]) identify each plant in all of my aquariums. This has proven way harder than I thought it would be!! How do you distinguish these from each other, without flowering or emergent growth?

What I know...I have put Bacopa caroliniana, B. monnieri, and Rotala indica in emergent forms in my tanks and converted them to submerged. I have put B. madagascariensis, B. salzmannii, B. sp. 'Colorata', Lindernia dubia, L. sp. 'India' in my tanks which were already grown submerged. That is if you trust my source(s) which I don't necessarily.

I know that the first photo is R. indica changing from emergent to submerged.
2361 excuse the spots..
23622363The plant in the second photo is the same species that is in my fingers in the third.
2364The fourth is the same as the stem in the background of the third photo.
2365The fifth is completely different. All these stems are the same width, they grow speed, the same height they branch the same, the leaves and stems are tender, kinda puffy. The only difference is the leaves the shape, color, veins, etc.

So just to clear none of these smell or taste yummy. So I think, it is safe to rule out the B. caroliniana. I think that the fifth is B. monnieri. I am guessing the second and third (in my fingers) is B. salzmannii that has been shaded out so it has not colored up.

And can someone explain to me what Bacopa sp. 'Colorata' is other than a different color variation of a previously described species?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, identifications, jokes....

B

kwseiders
10-11-2013, 08:15 AM
The second and third might be bacopa, or some kind of lindernia. It is more difficult to tell from a picture than I thought. The last 2 look like bacopa caroliniana. They don't look like bacopa monnieri. Monnieri has smaller, lighter green leaves. My bacopa caroliniana has many different colors, ranging from light green to rusty brown. It depends on growing conditions. Bring a stem to the auction, and we'll find out what it is for sure.