PDA

View Full Version : Bagging woes

schillbw
10-13-2013, 09:22 AM
So is it just me or others feel worthless after bagging fish? I try so hard to keep them full of air but it never seems to work out. My fingers are numb from rubberbands snapping. Is there a secret to this dull madness?

Demonfish
10-13-2013, 03:43 PM
I use oxygen and my bags just seem to sag. How you do get the bags snug? even if I use compressed air, they seem to mush out on me. Worse, the outer bags steams up so you can't even see my double bagged fish. Large bags, lots of O2, good for a long trip, but the fish are laying sideways in the shallow water and aren't attractive at all. Knots are better than rubber bands on thin bags, but the fish get dizzy from me spinning them. The thick 3mil bags seem to reject both knots and rubber bands. I feel stupid when I come home and find yet another pitcher of swordtails sitting on a tank (they are all fine, didn't even jump out this time). Not that bringing them would've helped, I don't think any had come up before I left @ 3 when the prices were starting to fall off a lot. Next time, I'll try to be on time and red sticker everything I care about, and put pictures on the bag. This was pretty much an "empty some tanks" auction, for me.

For rubber bands, buy new. After 5 years in the fish room 2 in 3 snap, its just not worth the aggravation. I still hate bagging, but helpers help. One to put fish in bags, one to put in oxygen, one to tie them up. So much faster.

schillbw
10-13-2013, 08:05 PM
I do the quick grasp and turn method. Slide the band through the other end and wrap reverse around the left over bag 3/4x then fold top of bag over and band it tight. Then 5 bags later I find the bag has lost air. Mind blown. I'm going to try double bagging next time to see if that makes a difference.

aXio
10-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Well I double bag everything. The 2nd bag helps keep the air in the main bag. And you need good rubber technique *grin*