PDA

View Full Version : algaecide thread

AShin
10-14-2013, 02:09 PM
anybody got reccomendations on this?
I use excel the co2 and have peroxide on hand.
Iknow that alot of algaecides are copper sulfate and therefore compromise crustaceans and some soft tissued plants along with scaless fish..
Also i've heard but not yet tried that 4 hour intervals of light will effectively stop photosynthesis on algae? is this correct? and to what extent?

AShin
10-14-2013, 02:10 PM
I also notice theres only green dust algae instead of hair algae on plants while the hair on the glass is more prolific. Why is this? my current live stock consitss of alot of amano and otocinclus fish

i have yet to clean the glass since setup its been about 8 months. and since i have added many aquatic plants into he environment

BobMajor
10-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Otos do a good job on algae but i have found that farowellas eat more types of algae and do not eat plants.the problem i have had with them is knowing when to start suplementing their diet with algae waffers so they dont starve----they seem to eat all algaes except bluegreen slime algae and blackbeard algae

byork
10-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Have you tested your phosphates and nitrates? I have money on high phosphates.

AShin
10-14-2013, 09:30 PM
haha i jsut swapped out my phosphate absorber and carbon with purigen. Turns out i haven't replaced the sponge in a long while
nitrates are at 0

byork
10-14-2013, 09:39 PM
I am confused were the phosphates high? I am very curious. I have a theory and I have been working on a spreadsheet that calculates fertilization needs and incorporates uptakes. Info like this would be helpful.

AShin
10-14-2013, 09:50 PM
yes i am also convinced the phosphates are high. The tank is in need of de stocking. I have a spare 20 and 29 g i plan on drilling... I am also looking into the phosban reactor from 2 little fishies. However i cant figure out if it comes with a pump and how i can encorporate it. I have this filter media atm though i think i may stick with~

byork
10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Thank you. I use phos ban in filter bags when mine get high. It is interesting though I have had to add phosphate at times. The uptake varies based on numerous factors.

AShin
10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
How do you test for phosphates? I think what i'll do is scrape and vacuum out sections off the glass and see how it goes >.<

byork
10-14-2013, 10:46 PM
There is an API test. Phosphates need to be very closely monitored in salt water. I think the Aviarium may have them, probably cheaper online. Not sure about the chains.

jmhart
10-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Have a look at this piece I put together several years ago:

"Methods of Algae Control"

http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/showthread.php?2410-Methods-of-Algae-Control

It's pretty comprehensive. I'd say the big thing it's missing is peroxide treatment because I don't use it and haven't ever really looked into it.

AShin
10-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Have a look at this piece I put together several years ago:

"Methods of Algae Control"

http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/showthread.php?2410-Methods-of-Algae-Control

It's pretty comprehensive. I'd say the big thing it's missing is peroxide treatment because I don't use it and haven't ever really looked into it.

I've checked that out before lol. I never proactively used phosphate filter media. Maybe it will have a dramatic effect. Really hoping it works cause i hate to have algae all over the glass and then have to worry about it on the insides of it~ :tycoon:

byork
10-15-2013, 09:14 PM
I think that the treatment depends on the algae. I do not preventively treat for phosphates. I only use the phosban resin if the phosphates are high. Phosphorus is an essential nutrient for plant growth. The hydrogen peroxide treatment is not effective in the tank,IME, unless done using the 1-2 punch method which is coupled with high co2/excel and VERY HIGH circulation. Even then you may lose livestock and mosses. You should definitely read up on this if you have not already.however. Hydrogen peroxide does work well as a pretreatment for new plants. So does pp (for pests)

I guess my point is... That you wouldn't treat blue green algae by removing phosphates, or treat bba with erythromyicin, or filament/thread algae with increased light. It is all a balance just get the equation balanced and you are in business. Of course, I believe that algae is a natural part of every aquatic ecosystem and some algae should be expected.

Hilde
11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
I have found when you concentrate on plant growth the algae declines. Also read about this at the Tom Barr Report. Could you post a pic of your tank?