View Full Version : Fire haps

10-14-2013, 09:05 PM
I bought a bag at the auction labeled "fire haps". No name on the bag but it is seller #631. I would like to find out more about this fish. They appear healthy and are doing well but I would like to find out exactly what they are. A "google" search reveals three possibilities. The first is Protomelas fire hap or super red empress from lake Malawi. I'm pretty sure that is not it. The other two "hits" are Haplochromis sp. fire Uganda and Paralabidochromis sp. fire. I think these last two are actually the same thing and is probably what I have. Can anyone shed some light?

10-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi Ron....I am number 631 and those were my 1m/4f group of Protomelas taeniolatus Makanjila aka...."fire blue hap". We had them in a tank with other males and he didn't dare color up but then about 2 weeks ago we moved the group into their own tank and he started coloring up. He also started to try and spawn and one of the females was being receptive but nothing happened yet so It will very soon. Only reason we decided to get rid of this group is we are trying to focus mainly on Tanganyikan's. I am still very curious to see how he turns out so please keep me informed.

Stephanie and Frank
Low Country Cichlids