PDA

View Full Version : Hemicrhomis Elongatus Feeding

bolivianbaby
10-18-2013, 10:07 AM
With these fish being piscivores/carnivores, how often should I be feeding them live or frozen foods? Their flake is meat-based, but is that enough protein? I have no problem feeding them live/frozen foods every feeding, but want to make sure they get the proper nutrition. Do they still require spiriluna and other vegetable matter or do they get that from their "prey"?

Thanks in advance folks!

Pierre
10-18-2013, 10:40 AM
The ones that I have and spawned several times were fed with pellets once a day. Pellets having 50%+ protein. I don't remember giving spirulina to the adults, but did to the fry.

ronv
10-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Marie, I feed mind a good quality flake or pellet once a day that contains a little of every thing. The 2nd daily feeding is usually something live... baby fish, blackworms, earthworms, ect. In the wild, I think they only eat fish so that would probably be OK in the aquarium too. Fortunately they will eat anything.

bolivianbaby
10-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Excellent! Thank you gentlemen!

Ron-Maybe I should've bought some of the cons Sunday, huh? hahaha! A continuous supply of baby fish. I'll be digging up some earthworms this afternoon. They are NOT getting my rainbow fry! lol!

Pierre-these are yours from the auction. They have already laid eggs for me and are loving their 55g tank. A very cool species for sure!

Pierre
10-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Great! They are very good parents and kept their young for several weeks.