PDA

View Full Version : How to plant a potted plant?

thbrewst
10-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Just bought a couple of new potted plants, but I've never bought plants this way before. Mine have always been loose. So, do I take out of they pot but plant all of the packaging around the roots? Or do I remove everything down to the roots and just plant the root ball?

Thanks for the assist.

HN1
10-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Your best bet is to carefully remove the pot and all the matting and plant the roots only. What type of plants?

thbrewst
10-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Your best bet is to carefully remove the pot and all the matting and plant the roots only. What type of plants?

One came out nice and clean and planted the roots. The other, micro sword, was intertwined in the matting. So I pulled off as much of the matting as I could without damaging the roots and planted what was remaining. Hopefully that will not limit it's ability to spread.

Follow-up question, what happens to the matting over time? Good/bad for the plants and water quality?

aXio
10-18-2013, 09:15 PM
One came out nice and clean and planted the roots. The other, micro sword, was intertwined in the matting. So I pulled off as much of the matting as I could without damaging the roots and planted what was remaining. Hopefully that will not limit it's ability to spread.

Follow-up question, what happens to the matting over time? Good/bad for the plants and water quality?

The "matting" or wool will start to get messy after time. Shouldn't effect your water quality at all though. If you leave this on the plant and go to gravel vac that spot wool will go everywhere. Also the micro grows and spreads faster if you plant it in small "clumps". I usually get like 6-8 clumps out of a pot of micro sword. When u break it into clumps the wool is more easily removed as well.

thbrewst
10-18-2013, 10:35 PM
The "matting" or wool will start to get messy after time. Shouldn't effect your water quality at all though. If you leave on this and go to gravel vac that spot wool will go everywhere. Also the micro grows and spreads faster if you plant it in small "clumps". I usually get like 6-8 clumps out of a pot of micro sword. When u break it into clumps the wool is more easily removed as well.

Roots seem delicate, how do you keep from ripping them apart when breaking into clumps?

I definitely want it to spread so willing to give it a shot.

aXio
10-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Roots seem delicate, how do you keep from ripping them apart when breaking into clumps?

I definitely want it to spread so willing to give it a shot.

You just have to be as careful as you can be. If you rip them a little bit it's ok. I also cut off a little bit of the roots at the bottom of the root structure. This helps the plants with growing new roots faster and get acclimated to the new substrate.

thbrewst
10-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Cool. I'll give it a shot later today. Many thanks...

kwseiders
10-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Very good advice!