PDA

View Full Version : What Watts per Gallon ?

olddog
10-20-2013, 07:53 PM
OK - I have 2 x 10 Gal. tanks length ways on a shelving unit with a shop light suspended 7" above them. The shop light has 2 x 6500 Phillips Daylight bulbs in it. Where am I at on my lighting? Low, Medium, High ? Approximately how many watts per gal. do I have and what type plants can I grow w/o Co2 ? I am trying to do a South American Bioscape for my Apistograms . All of my 5 Tanks have same light set up w/ 2' of Black Diamond 20 - 40 blasting media over approx. 1/2" of Miracle Gro Organic Choice potting mix for substrata .
Also - where can I purchase Potassium Sulfate and Potassium Nitrate (already have Epson Salts) to make up Trace Elements mix found in this months News Letter?

Jeff

aXio
10-20-2013, 08:05 PM
The watts per gallon rule is a really poor rule to follow. I believe it was mainly used in the Power Compact bulb days, but there are many types of bulbs people use. T5, T8, PC, Metal Halide, and more. As all bulbs have different PAR output, wattage, depth penetration, etc. The only true way to see what kind of light output your getting is by using a PAR meter which most people don't have access to. Now with that said as far as the actual wattage of your bulbs it should say somewhere on one end of the bulb. Here is where you would stand on your light depending on the type of bulb you have in there...

T8 Bulbs - Low Light
T5 HE 28watt Bulbs - Low/Medium Light
T5 HO 54watt Bulbs - Medium/High Light

The only bulb type you might run into some issues with out running CO2 would be the T5 HO 54watt bulbs. Hope this helps!

olddog
10-20-2013, 08:22 PM
... Now with that said as far as the actual wattage of your bulbs it should say somewhere on one end of the bulb. Here is where you would stand on your light depending on the type of bulb you have in there...

T8 Bulbs - Low Light
T5 HE 28watt Bulbs - Low/Medium Light
T5 HO 54watt Bulbs - Medium/High Light

The only bulb type you might run into some issues with out running CO2 would be the T5 HO 54watt bulbs. Hope this helps!

WHAT ?

Lights : Philips T12 40 Watt 48" 2325 lumens color rendering index 84 color temp. 6500K

Jeff

aXio
10-20-2013, 08:32 PM
WHAT ?

Lights : Philips T12 40 Watt 48" 2325 lumens color rendering index 84 color temp. 6500K

Jeff

Oh your running a T12 fixture. Like a ceiling light. Your going to have low light with those bulbs.

olddog
10-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Yup ! They are old shop light fixtures. What would be a cheap upgrade ? (they seem awfully bright to me) I want to do an apistograma biotype w/ plants, driftwood and limbs, and some rock/caves.

Jeff

aXio
10-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Yup ! They are old shop light fixtures. What would be a cheap upgrade ? (they seem awfully bright to me) I want to do an apistograma biotype w/ plants, driftwood and limbs, and some rock/caves.

Jeff

Not sure how "cheap" your talking. But you can get a 2 bulb T5 fixtures for under $100 if your look around the internet or get one used. My favorites right now are the Current SAT+ LED fixtures. They run $100-200 but you never have to buy or change out bulbs so after a year or 2 you start saving money over a T5 fixture.

ronv
10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
One thing to consider if you are considering light fixture purchases. T-12 tubes are about to become a thing of the past. They are no longer being made. (Banned by our EPA).

spidangular
10-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Did you go to the big auction last weekend? Did you see all the very red plants in the bags with the 20 other species of plants? All grown with Walmart shop lights with the same type of bulbs you have and diy co2 and dry ferts. 3x Lights are 2-3" over the water of a 20gallon long. If you don't have co2 then i wouldn't increase your lights very much, but I'm no expert.

kwseiders
10-21-2013, 02:44 PM
That light would be fine. I have a similar light (only with T8 tubes, which are brighter, and fit in the same fixture) that sits directly on top of 3 x 10 gallon tanks. The light is too bright, and it is difficult to control algae. However, since yours are 7" above the tank, they should be fine. I also have the same fixture on 2 x 20 gallon tanks side by side (but with T8s)and it is perfect for those tanks. The plants grow well without the addition of cO2. The lights on the 20s are also sitting right on top of the tanks, so I still think your lights suspended 7" above the tanks will be fine. I would call it medium light. You can probably grow many plants without cO2.

Chimpansean
11-03-2013, 08:44 AM
I just bought the Current LED fixture a few weeks ago. I really like it. I gave $125 for the 24" model . It sits over on 1/2 of my 120. When I can afford it I'll buy one for the other half.
I don't how much good it is doing my plants but oddly enough I think it is good for the fish. It has quite a few different effects, or 'moods' if you will, and I am seeing some behavior I haven't seen before. Of course, I couldn't because the lights were either on or off. Now l can turn on a dawn/dusk effect and watch my fish slowly rise and shine. I just spent 20 minutes watching my fish sleep. (Man, I gotta get a life!).
There are also lightning effects with rolling cloud cover. It interesting, I thought the fish would wig out at the lightning effect kinda like they do when 320 watts of SHO lights come on instantly but they don't. They just keep on keeping on.
Another thing I think I am seeing is this different behavior I mentioned. I'm pretty sure it is be cause of the subdued lighting. I spent a good 30 minutes the other night watching a male A. Cacatuoides and a male L. Dorsigera 'play', per se. They didn't seem to be sparing as they weren't bowed up. They just were nudging each other back and forth. It was great fun to watch (Did I mention I really need to get a life).
Any way, I think the light itself would be fantastic for a shallower tank ( the model I bought also came with a remote control. Lots of fun). Here's a link- http://www.current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-freshwater-led
also, here a detailed article on lighting - http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html
S.

Hilde
11-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Also - where can I purchase Potassium Sulfate and Potassium Nitrate (already have Epson Salts) to make up Trace Elements mix found in this months News Letter?

KNO3 (potassium nitrate) I get from Spectricide Stump Remover. A few years back read someone else using and when I check out the specs on it found that it is 100% KNO3. For Potassium sulfate start a thread in the for sale section. If no 1 responds go to http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

Pierre
11-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Jeff
I have the same light settings as you do and did not have trouble with algea. I (and Spidangular) use the same fertilizer and I must say he is doing it right. If you are interested, I was about to get more next week. Here is the site about Greg Sage fert : http://www.selectaquatics.com/Plant%20Fertilizer.htm - Each 6.0 oz. container will treat up to 44,000 gallons!

Hilde
11-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Yup ! They are old shop light fixtures. What would be a cheap upgrade ?

Coralife T5NO 2-18watt bulbs from Pet Blvd.