PDA

View Full Version : Best live food for Apistograma adults

olddog
10-21-2013, 07:43 PM
What do you consider the best live food for conditioning your adult Apisto.s and what would be a good live food for growing out juvies and young adults? What do you feed as far as flake and pellet?

Jeff

HN1
10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
We don't use many live foods. Occasional shrimp, but other than that they seem to breed at will on pellets. Black worms and others are great, but never convenient it seems. We can't seem to keep any cultures going so we use a variety of pellets. Not many flakes at all. Ken's fish, Plecocaine, Hikari, NLS, etc.

Apisto Jim
10-22-2013, 10:18 AM
I agree with Len that most Apistos will do fine and breed on dry and frozen foods. They are not demanding as to diet.

I feed baby brine shrimp every morning. Even adult males will eat these. What I like is it gives them something to do - all the fish come out and snack for at least an hour until they are gone. Babies will also get get vinegar eels during the day.

My staple is Omega One Cichlid flakes fed via a turkey baster. Once a week they get a color enhancing flake and a veggie flake about every other week. Fish like Dicrossus get the veggies more often.

I also feed white worms and gammarus shrimp. I've learned to spread the white worms over several areas in my 20 gal longs - the males will chase off any other fish and gorge if you dump them in a single location. As for the shrimp, they will quickly scatter into the Java moss and driftwood in the tank, setting off a chase by all the fish. After a feeding the Apistos will hunt for escaping shrimp for a couple of days. I think the hunting activity is fun to watch and ultimately good for the fish.

Perrin150
10-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Where can i get gammarus shrimps and how do i keep them?????

Apisto Jim
10-23-2013, 10:10 AM
I can get you a culture of shrimp and instructions - PM me