PDA

View Full Version : South American Dwarf Cichlids Books

olddog
10-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Would you consider the Baensch Cichlid Atlas, vol.2 (v.2) by Uwe Romer a book worth purchasing ? (What about vol. 1?)

What about all the South American Dwarf Cichlids Analog books Dieter and Mayland are they worth the money or are there better books out there?

Jeff

Demonfish
10-22-2013, 01:00 AM
You can't have too many fish books. They don't need feeding and water changes. One I like is Linke - Staeck Amecican Cichlids I: Dwarf Cichlids, a handbook of Identification, care and breeding, tetra 1994 ISBN 1-56465-168-1. Its old so some names have changed, but it has all my favorites, dorsiger, dicrossus, rams, apistos, nanocara. I have a hardback color English edition, but there are also german editions and softback english translations.

I have the mergus cichlids atlas vol 2. I could bring it to a meeting for you to see it.

What are you looking for? If its ID pics,the aqualogs are good, pretty posters, too. Check fishbookstore.com

kwseiders
10-22-2013, 07:23 AM
I have the Mergus Cichlid Atlases. I am always referring to them, and they have a lot of information on each species. I like them.

Apisto Jim
10-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I highly recommend either book by Romer - excellent key for identifying species and tons of info.

pawslover
10-22-2013, 09:50 AM
At ACA in Atlanta a few years ago, Uwe Romer said that the 2nd volume has a lot of updated info, so I'd go for that one.

olddog
10-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Are any of the better at describing the areas/biotypes that the fish are collected from? Looking for a brief discussion of the aquatic plants from the collection areas. Maybe some pictures of aquatic plant life .

Jeff

Apisto Jim
10-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Romer's book lists water parameters and general description of the distribution and ecology of the locations where known. If he collected the fish he will often include more specifics and occasional photos.