PDA

View Full Version : Demasoni help

amazon2k
10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
So I've got a 150gal setup that properly cycled for about 5 weeks before I added fish. Here is what I've added so far6:

6 - Demasoni (1-1.5")
5 - Yellow Labs (1.5")
10 - In the beginning from the "mixed tank" (Now down to what looks like 1 Rusty, 1 a Peach color, 2 Blue neon, 2 albino somethings)

Everyone seems to be doing ok when introduced except the occasional Demasoni. I would buy 4 and loose 1, buy 5 and loose 2, etc...On my last purchase, found a really nice sized male, I'm guessing. Thinking a larger fish would stand a better chance of survival. But he, and one of the other slightly larger ones, just seem to be slow and lethargic. The larger one doesn't explore the tank really. He just chases any one close to his cave and then returns to it. His color looks normal. No visible fin issues. Neither of the 2 seem to be thriving. All of the fish seem to flash a little more than I'd like, but the water parameters are normal for Mbuna. Any ideas??

Oh and if someone local has more Demasoni for sale, I could use 3 or 4 more

ronv
10-24-2013, 09:37 AM
What are the water parameters?

amazon2k
10-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Nitrate - 2.5ppm
Phosphate - 0
PH - 7.8-8.0
Temp - 78
40% - Weekly water change

That's all I'm currently able to test

amazon2k
10-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Are you the Ron that sold the Sulfur Peacocks at the fall auction?

Demonfish
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
hardness, salt? Decor? Temp? I keep mine in a TDS ~300 ppm and as many rocks, caves, and pvc pipe pieces as will fit in the tank. I've never lost one of these fish to disease, but maybe your brought ich or an internal parasite home from the store, are they sunken bellied? IME, I don't lose them to aggression,either. You just catch the tailless fish lying at the water's surface and put him in a 5 until the tail grows back and then sell him. I keep them with victorian haps in a very crowded 45 gallon, 4' tank. If another fish is killing them, it could be an albino zebra as they still see themselves as dark, vertically striped fish.

I would suggest you add more, 8-10 at once and up the hardness. Maybe try dolomite as a substrate.

amazon2k
10-24-2013, 02:39 PM
My temp is 78', but the hardness I can't check yet. I do have 10lbs of crushed coral in the bottom of my sump. Maybe a slightly sunken belly, but I thought it was because the 2 of them barley eat. The thing is, all the other fish appear to be fine. The only 2 with an issue seem to be the demasoni. The salt is.0001 I believe.

I'll try and add more to the mix if I can find that many

ronv
10-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Are you the Ron that sold the Sulfur Peacocks at the fall auction?

Sorry, not me. Your problem sounds to me more like water quality than aggression. You have nitrate so it sounds like you are cycled. Do you find any ammonia or nitrite?

Demonfish
10-24-2013, 05:43 PM
demasoni barely eating? That is just wrong. They ought to swarm up and beg for food and not let any pellets hit the bottom. I would try a food with metro in it. Once you have a disease in the tank, it will keep infecting new fish.

amazon2k
10-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes I thought the same demonfish. The other demasoni eat ferociously. I'll work on the remaining traces of nitrate over the next week. Should I be looking for any type of cure-all? Other than the 2 being inactive I don't know what illness I'd be trying to treat. You guys know of a breeder of demasoni in the club?

ronv
10-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Nitrate is not a problem. What is your nitrite/ ammonia levels?

Demonfish
10-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Agreed, nitrate is not an issue for these fish. You can safely let it rise to 30 ppm. I would look at parasites first, as not eating is one of the major symptoms, though most sick fish will eat less.

amazon2k
10-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Ammonia is 0, but the nitrite I'm not sure. Is there a visual indicator? Either way, I can pick up a test kit this weekend for it.

Since I got home, I can tell that all but the one largest demasoni are doing fine. They all have good Colo and are active. The big guy still won't stray from his rocky hide out

byork
10-25-2013, 07:19 AM
I have had luck treating parasites with metronidazole and praziquantel. I have heard other people like Prazipro but is to expensive for me. Do you see any stringy poop or worms? Or are they just wasting?

amazon2k
10-25-2013, 10:30 AM
He just looks like he is wasting away. I'll see if I can find the parasite treatment and dose accordingly. Again, if anyone has Demasoni's for sale please let me know. I'd like to add another 8-10 to the group as Demonfish suggested. I'll try and post a pic of him if I can snap it before he returns to his cave

ronv
10-25-2013, 10:35 AM
I would recommend not adding anymore fish until you figure out what is wrong with the ones you have now.

oxheart
10-25-2013, 03:11 PM
i may be on the wrong track but its always good to check everything , watch them close when they eat . Watch If they take in food and then a few minutes later spit it out . Also as someone said look for the long thin kinda almost see thru poop .

Demonfish
10-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Agree, wait until you've had 3 months with no deaths to add more fish. By then, I should have some demasoni for you, too.

amazon2k
10-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Ok I managed to catch a few quick shots of him (?). He came out to eat just a very few and very small pieces of flake. Watching him defend his rock and he chases the others off no more than a few inches. Gotta do something here...

byork
10-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Looks like internal parasites to me. I would treat him for worms/parasites just like I mentioned before. Definitely do not add anymore fish! Do the other fish show any fading, loss of appetite, sunken bellies, swollen bellies, or generally are not growing well? Treating for worms isn't going to hurt your good bacteria or change your water chemistry. In my opinion it really can't hurt.

amazon2k
10-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Well now that you mentioned it. A few from the original group of "mixed" mbuna haven't grown much compared to the group of Yellow Labs I got just 2 weeks ago. Can I get a good parasite medication from my LFS? I'll be headed there in the next hour or so.

amazon2k
10-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Well now that you mentioned it. A few from the original group of "mixed" mbuna haven't grown much compared to the group of Yellow Labs I got just 2 weeks ago. Can I get a good parasite medication from my LFS? I'll be headed there in the next hour or so. Oh, and will green peas help with this?

AND I JUST FOUND ANOTHER DEAD DEMASONI!!! A fish that had no signs of illness when I posted pics last night! What the heck is going on here!

Demonfish
10-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Yep, the belly looks concave, it should be convex, round on the bottom. Look for a gut issue, likely parasites. The stuff in the gut steals all the nutrition they eat and they slowly starve, dropping over a period of months. a LFS may have the jungle parasite food, It doesn't taste goo, but if you can get them to eat it (maybe use garlic juice) it should help. Also metronidazole powder from seachem in a little brown tube. You sprinkle it on thawed frozen brine shrimp, refreeze and hope they eat it.

amazon2k
10-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Ok so the big fella died yesterday. But I did start treatment for bloat in the tank on Saturday and not noticed a difference in ALL the fish by Sunday night! I included peas as part of the process. I also had a thorough water test and everything checks out well. Thanks everyone for the help.

I have a Rusty that is/was in the early stages of bloat. I will use him to measure progress and update this post with a before and after pics.

royrusso
10-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Yes I thought the same demonfish. The other demasoni eat ferociously. I'll work on the remaining traces of nitrate over the next week. Should I be looking for any type of cure-all? Other than the 2 being inactive I don't know what illness I'd be trying to treat. You guys know of a breeder of demasoni in the club?

Hello,

I breed Demasoni and sell them to an LFS in Paulding Co. I have ~30 right now that aren't at the 2" mark where I normally sex/cull/sell/keep them. I've only lost Demasoni over the years from either a/ Aggression or b/suicide.

amazon2k
10-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Royrusso did you see the pics I attached to this thread? Send me a pm on your prices and what you will have.