PDA

View Full Version : Fish Psychology : Fear & Protection

Pierre
10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
I started last week a new 55G with black sand and moved the yellow labs from another 55 to this one, as well as a young male otopharynx lithobates. Since, they have been hiding in the large pipe I put on the left of the tank. This afternoon, I moved the Male Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" from the same 55G. A few hours later, as I checked how he was doing, I was happily surprised too see that all the fish were out and not scared when I approached them. So it seems that the large male is providing some "comfort" to the other fish?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Pierre

Apisto Jim
10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
My observation is different but along the same lines: Dither fish. I have a 29 gal grow-out tank with about 60 Apistogramma borellii fry without any dithers. If I get near the tank, everyone dives for cover. As males develop, I relocate them to another tank with some microrasboras. I don't know if its the testosterone or the dithers, but the few males in this tank don't care if I am around and will always check if I have food.

royrusso
10-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Same here. What I have observed and have been told over the years is that the panic attacks in the tanks are caused by the smallest of fish. Dither fish, like tiger barbs, are usually what the cichlid key-off of.