PDA

View Full Version : Tropheus duboisi maswa

ronv
11-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Alvin brought me a big group of these guys down from N. Carolina yesterday and he told me that he thinks one of the females is holding. I have been watching the group this afternoon and maybe she is. I can't tell yet. I understand they don't have many at a time so the mouth is not full like mbuna. Plus they still eat while they are holding. Wish me luck... This is one of those fish that was on my "bucket list". Thank you very much Alvin...

oxheart
11-03-2013, 06:51 PM
they will eat but not a lot , just sips kinda . great on the big group best way to keep them . I have to assume lol you know what you have gotten in to . recommend trophs.com good info .
Rick

ronv
11-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I have to assume lol you know what you have gotten in to

I'm not sure I know what I've gotten into but I guess I'll find out. Thanks for the trophs.com tip. I didn't know about it. Do you keep tropheus? If so what do you feed them? I'm having trouble finding a good spirulina flake.

oxheart
11-03-2013, 11:11 PM
yes I keep trophs , moori red kalambwe , red rainbow , moori ilangi ,and moori bemba . Also just to prove I am insane , starting a school of petrochromis Trewavasae . Been feeding kens tropheus flake but that is a fish based food , switched to kens vegi food . with a tad of the spirulina thrown in . I am not satisfied with that mixture however . going to order some of the spirulina from Greg Meceli of little African aquatics . Watch for stress , avoid changing water conditions. I kid my wife and say the Discus folks think they have it rough try trophs . I am a fan but I have had those disheartening whole tank loses , starts with one then one by one they waste away , water conditions perfect no reason you can pin down . I do a 33 percent water change weekly , massive filtration , on a 125 with 40 trophs I have a fx5 , cascade 1500 and a penguin 350 . Like I said massive . Oh also a marineland maxi jet 600 to move things around . I prefer the heavy rock , the round stuff {less sharp edges } and plenty of it . I keep small bn plecos and upside down catfish for my cleaning crews . I do not remove the holding females , they release in the tanks , have never had a problem losing youngins . Also keeps the females in the pecking order , no stress from reintroducing the fish . I dedicate a tank to a species , no mixing , so 40 of each species .
How many maswa's are in your group ?
Rick

ronv
11-04-2013, 09:55 AM
How many maswa's are in your group ?
Rick

Fourteen. I hope that's enough. Right now they are in a 55 gal tank. I'm going to do a massive shifting around of my fish room inhabitants tonight and move them to a 6' long 120.

oxheart
11-04-2013, 07:32 PM
what size are they . Maswa's are a tad aggressive but should be enough . Do you know if these are F-1's 2's etc?
Rick

ronv
11-05-2013, 10:05 AM
They are adults... 3" or so. I don't know how far removed from wild (F#). They are now alone in my 6' tank and seem to be doing well. Males are dancing...

oxheart
11-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Got any idea on the ratio's , Males to females ?

ronv
11-05-2013, 08:20 PM
How can I tell the difference?

oxheart
11-05-2013, 08:25 PM
venting is the only way , I was hoping the person you got them from told you :smile: Not a thing . ideally you want less males more females . It cuts down on aggression . lots of times I buy what I can get , nature generally takes care of the to many males thing . You know floaters .
Rick

ronv
11-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I am hoping a 6' tank will help some of that...No?

oxheart
11-06-2013, 06:06 PM
It should , lots of rockwork will help as well. Give them someplace to go . But they are going to fight , for such {as my wife would say }"cute little guys" they are meaner than snot at times . Anyway should be good. lol I want babies.

oxheart
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM
dang ever since this discussion have had an urge to get some duboisi's ,so I order some wild ones today have a group of 21 wild Maswa's coming in thurs , ha and its all your fault.
Rick

ronv
12-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Are you getting maswa. How big are they? Mine are doing great. I lost one (a jumper) so down to 13. They are very active. Constantly chasing and displaying to each other but no spawns yet. Good luck with yours.

oxheart
12-09-2013, 08:01 PM
yep Maswa . been reading that they are disappearing in the lake hard to get wild . So when I saw this group scooped them up . will be about 3 to 4 in . Going to house them in a 120 gallon . Oh yeah I cover my tanks well jumpers are a pain . Do not think I will have any problems with spawns . But figuring with wild will give them a few months to settle into tank life . just had my wild Tropheus moorii Red Kalambwe Congo spit fry as well . Lol and my bemba tank is putting out so many fry I think I will be supplying the eastern seaboard .

ronv
12-09-2013, 08:05 PM
What do you feed?

oxheart
12-10-2013, 02:56 PM
I use kens vegi flake and kens troph flak 50/50

oxheart
01-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Any breeding going on yet ? just curious.
Rick

ronv
01-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Several spawns... no fry. I'm thinking I don't have enough cover for the females. I think they are being harassed until they spit. Thanks for asking.