PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keeping these???

ACC in NC
11-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Labidochromis sp. “Hongi” Super Red

Is there anyone around here keeping these guys? From what I’ve read there being line bred in Sweden. Take a look at the video link below. Thanks!

Link >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2z0VOv9JpM

Demonfish
11-07-2013, 12:20 AM
I've had hongi, but not "super red", mine were more of orange top. Those look like line-bred + color food. They also look a bit more aggressive than mine, and and mine weren't mild. I don't have them anymore, though. Not a bad fish, but not one I'd keep forever.

European fish keepers seem more into the bright color strains than we are here. I generally go for the wild type. You can get fish from Europe, but there seems to be a high transit cost, making it often more affordable to get wild fish straight from the source. But the first few generations of a new "german red" fish or similar generally good prices here. You will often see fish on European lists for a a few years until someone actually bites the bullet and bring them over. Sometimes fish collected by Europeans in SA or Africa will be over there a long time before you see it here and vice versa.

BobMajor
11-07-2013, 06:29 AM
They are offered on fish farm lists out of the Far East but not by color

ACC in NC
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the replies! I posted this on a few other forums and found someone close that imported some from Sweden.