PDA

View Full Version : Patching up drilled holes

peathenster
01-02-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm planning to patch up drilled holes in some acrylic tanks. I've considered the alternative of using bulkheads and then seal them off, but decided to simply patch them up for now. Have a few quick questions:

- where can I get a few pieces of acrylic from? Round or square, ~3" in diameter should be enough.
- which acrylic weld would you recommend?

- somewhat unrelated: I've seen black PVC pipes in tanks but not in stores. Do people just paint white ones or can I get black ones from somewhere?

jhw972
01-02-2014, 12:58 PM
It's been a while, but I recall seeing an Instructable on how to dye PVC pipe different colors. Don't think that's what you've been seeing, but the option is out there. Most of the black stuff you see is actually ABS instead of PVC, I believe.

As for sourcing, I would look up plastics shops in the yellow pages and find someone locally. They should be able to hook you up with material as well as recommend a weld agent. Last time I did it, I used a small (0.5cc) syringe with a needle to do the application. The big goal there is to ensure there are no bubbles in the seam and everything should be ok.

ronv
01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Peter I've never patched an acrylic tank but I've patched plenty of glass tanks with acrylic patches. I just use silicone. I don't think the adhesion is great but it seals. I place the patch on the inside of the tank and water pressure helps hold it in place. Never had a problem. Good luck.

HN1
01-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Like Ron, I've only patched glass tanks. I'm not sure if regular silicone would join acrylic well enough. Personally, I'd cap it so that if I needed to sell it in the future it would still hold the "reef ready" title.

Black PVC (actually ABS).... http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves-Black-Pipe-Fittings/N-5yc1vZbqn5

Pierre
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
I patched my acrylic tank with two small square acrylic sheets from home depot. Has been doing fine for 14 months so far. I used silicon and put the patch inside the tank.

Uptown Ruler
01-02-2014, 06:36 PM
If patching acrylic to acrylic I would not use silicon....it might hold but I wouldn't trust it long term

Glass to acrylic is ok using silicon

I would just cap it myself

jimfur80
01-02-2014, 07:58 PM
they make glue for acrylic, the Aviarium in Duluth has some.

Jim

hsd
01-03-2014, 12:57 AM
You'll want to weldon, it'll fuse the 2 pieces of acrylic together. Weld-on 16 is probably what you are after, good for patches, runs thicker than weld-on 3 and 4. I like the idea of just capping it off with a few pieces of pvc instead, if you ever get rid of the tank later easier to resell.

peathenster
01-03-2014, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated.

I think Weldon is what I was looking for. I'll reconsider capping them too. It's probably the easiest but I'm not crazy about the idea of buying a bunch of new bulkheads just to seal off tanks :(

hsd
01-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated.

I think Weldon is what I was looking for. I'll reconsider capping them too. It's probably the easiest but I'm not crazy about the idea of buying a bunch of new bulkheads just to seal off tanks :(

Home depot or any hardware store, pvc fittings, to make a diy bulkhead. Just remember to put some stuff to make a gasket with in the middle to make it water tight too.

ronv
01-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Silicon is reversible. I don't know if the other stuff is.

peathenster
01-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ron. Weldon is probably not reversible. The capping route I was thinking is to glue a short PVC pipe to the bottom of the bulkheads and seal it off with a PVC cap.

In general bulkheads shouldn't be reused, but I feel that it's just the rubber washer. Not sure if I can get it separately though.