PDA

View Full Version : Killie Hatching

olddog
01-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Well, I thought my Austrolebias robustus eggs had gotten frozen in shipping from Germany. Probably not the best time of the year to be getting Killifish eggs. So, in my unhappy state I threw them in a couple of inches of tank water on tue. not expecting anything but bad or fungused eggs. Tonight I glanced over the fry tank and thought I saw movement. I got out the flash light and there are quite a few little robustus swimming happily around. I have a few plants (moss, frog bit, duck weed) in w/ them, but I need live food and soon!!!
Does any one have any live food I could get - micro worms, black worms, a small amount of brine shrimp eggs (until mine get to me in the mail) or what have you??? I would prefer North Gwinnett, Hall, Barrow area. I'm just off of rt. 211 on rt. 124 headed towards Spout Springs/Mineral Springs road.

I really didn't think they would hatch out - but now I don't want to lose them and I'll probably be looking to place at least a couple of pairs as soon as they are big enough to sex.
Austrolebias robustus are large killi fish getting to 11 - 13 cm. They like cold water tanks and live food - will eat small worms when mature.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

djramsey
01-09-2014, 07:45 AM
small earthworms, chopped into really small pieces, be sure to drain through a brine shrimp net. Doesn't move but at least has some meat smell to it. Will help them going until you get some live food. Very shallow water so the fry are near the food. Remember to redry the peat and wet again in a month. could work several times.

BobMajor
01-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Have micro worms----I live in Dunwoody Bob

ronv
01-09-2014, 01:17 PM
I can bring microworms/ brine shrimp eggs to the meeting but that's not until the 18th. I think if you have lots of java moss or such, that will keep them going for a while. Lots of little "bugs" are in the moss. You mentioned that you have a little in with them now. Do you have anymore in another tank? Just keep replacing the moss every few days.

Demonfish
01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
frozen bbs,rotifers and daphnia are good in a pinch, but my closest stores don't carry them.

olddog
01-10-2014, 11:34 PM
I have vinegar eels and a starter for micro worms (thanks to angeredbug). I am also adding java moss every couple of days. I may need a new start of micro worms if these don't get going - so ronv I'll defiantly take you up on your offer at the next meeting. Anybody got a good source of moderately priced brine shrimp eggs (are the high priced ones really worth it?)? How about black worms , grindal worms , or a source of really small red worms? I seem to have lost a few robustus, but some remain so here's hopping !

Jeff

Gibbletest
01-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Congrats on the fry hatching. How big are the fry? And where did you order them from? Sorry I neglected my micro worm cultures otherwise I would offer you some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)