PDA

View Full Version : Protect filters from electrical surge?

Hilde
01-15-2014, 02:32 PM
One day my electricity went off and when the filter came back on the propeller was rattling. I fixed the problem but concerned that it could happen when I am not at home and damage the filter. Especially since my PC modem and monitor, which were plugged into a surge protector, were damaged by an electrical surge.

I got a battery backed surge protector on Ebay. The battery needs replacing, thus got my money back. Pondering if it is worth buying a battery for it.

What devices do you protect you filters from electrical surges?

jhw972
01-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Even if the battery is dead, the UPS should provide clean power and prevent spikes from getting to the gear behind it.

djramsey
01-15-2014, 03:26 PM
new batteries or ups backups on ebay are cheap. I have my filters and air pumps on different ups battery backup. The ups cost less than the filters and pumps so it is the obvious thing to do. Plus most of my tanks have way too many fish in them so the filters and pumps have got to keep going.

Hilde
01-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Even if the battery is dead, the UPS should provide clean power and prevent spikes from getting to the gear behind it.
Yeh but it beeps constantly, which may scare my neighbors.

It is listed as surge protector and battery backup. How long does it back up?

caricell
01-15-2014, 06:12 PM
I have high-powered UPS units on about every electrically run appliance in my house, including all my fish tanks. Some of the units I use also have "AVR"..Automatic Voltage Protection, whichj keeps the voltage going to your appliances steady, even if there is a surge or power drop. My filters never go off...unless I turn them off. (Some of the better units are controllable by software, and the "beeping' can actually be disabled.)

Yeh but it beeps constantly, which may scare my neighbors.

Hilde
01-15-2014, 06:20 PM
So the constant beebing is normal?

jhw972
01-16-2014, 07:28 AM
The way to turn off the beeping varies by brand, and some may not allow it at all. There should be information in the manual for that unit on how to silence the alarm.

caricell
01-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Should not CONSTANT beep unless the unit is not receiving AC power to it.

Larry'

So the constant beebing is normal?

djramsey
01-16-2014, 07:53 AM
The units only beep if the power going out is greater than the power coming in. That can mean you are getting low voltage in. Very bad for all your appliances. It used to drive us nuts. Then we found out that the power line from the pole to our house was nearly cheweed through. Squirrels will trim their teeth on the power line. Ga Power guys told us this is very common. They replaced the line to the house and end of that problem. Now the light bulbs last a whole lot longer. So if your ups is beeping and the power is not out, you need to explore the low voltage problem. Be sure also that the battery in the ups is good. Low voltage will make them drain out and die in a only a couple of months.

Hilde
01-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Well I got another battery for it. It kept on beeping. Saw that it has a reset button. Pressed and it and it stopped beeping. The battery is a 12v 5A/H. Does anybody know how long it will keep the filters running when the power cuts off?

caricell
01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
What is the brand and model number and I can check for you.

Also, how many things on your tank is it running? (lights..heater, filter..etc)..

Larry

Well I got another battery for it. It kept on beeping. Saw that it has a reset button. Pressed and it and it stopped beeping. The battery is a 12v 5A/H. Does anybody know how it will keep the filters running when the power cuts off?

canoe
01-17-2014, 02:01 AM
A UPS is definitely worthwhile. Most of mine have multiple plugs, usually with half having battery backup and half functioning as regular plugs. A UPS is rated depending on the capacity of the sealed battery inside. The simplest way to determine how long the battery will last is to do a "pull plug" test. Pretty simple to cut off the power from the AC outlet, and time how long it takes for the UPS outlets to lose power. If you have a heater or some other device that draws intermittent power plugged into the UPS, your results will be subject to how much the heater is on/off during the test. My philosophy is to not use a battery backup for a heater, as the UPS won't last as long as it will take for the water temp to change enough for the fish to notice. Better to direct all the juice in the battery of the UPS to low power consumption devices such as air pumps and filters, giving them the longest run time possible during a power outage. Also, tank lights generally do not need battery backup.

As the UPS gets older, the maximum run time will decrease. A sealed lead acid battery in a typical UPS is good for about 3 years. While they are not too expensive to replace, a brand new UPS bought on sale might be about the same price. Also, dispose of the used battery by recycling it. I believe Home Depot will accept them.

As far as beeping goes, it is true that different models from different brands have different methods of setting the beep codes. APC, a popular UPS for computers, has models that can communicate with the computer. Software on the computer is used to configure the UPS to beep or not to beep (pun intended), and other parameters. The UPS might need to be set up with a computer first, and then moved to service the fish tank.

Hilde
01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
What is the brand and model number and I can check for you.

Also, how many things on your tank is it running? (lights..heater, filter..etc)..

Larry
The UPS is an Conext CNB300.

Plan on putting Eheim classic 2115, Fluval nano internal filter and 2 Coralife T5NO strips while on vacation.

In the future, hopefull by March, will have Eheim classic 2115, Eheim Ecco 2232 and 2 Coralife T5NO strips on it.

Found that cobb county libraries take old batteries. Also found a replacement battery for $28 at home depot.

caricell
01-17-2014, 04:37 PM
That unit is a 300va unit, which, I'm sorry to say, won't keep much running long at all in case of a power failure. For the items you are hooking up, even with a new battery installed...15 minutes at most. Conext units I don't believe are built any more and they were taken over by APC..but batteries for them are pretty standard. You can get one on ebay for $15.00 shipped.

All my units are 1000va MINIMUM, but then again, they sell for $100-$300+, and most came from Computer Data Centers.

The UPS is an Conext CNB300.

Plan on putting Eheim classic 2115, Fluval nano internal filter and 2 Coralife T5NO strips while on vacation.

In the future, hopefull by March, will have Eheim classic 2115, Eheim Ecco 2232 and 2 Coralife T5NO strips on it.

Found that cobb county libraries take old batteries. Also found a replacement battery for $28 at home depot.

hsd
01-17-2014, 05:04 PM
I use apc ups battery backups. Sometimes office depot will have them on sale. Lights and canister filter are plugged into just the surge protector part. The air pumps that drive the sponge filters are plugged on the battery backup side of the ups. If power goes out the air pump will run several hours or even last the better part of a day. Heaters, lights, hob/canister filters will quickly drain the battery if plugged into the battery backup side.

caricell
01-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Try one of these, and it will run *all* your stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390011633&sr=8-4&keywords=cyberpower+cp1500pfclcd

I use apc ups battery backups. Sometimes office depot will have them on sale. Lights and canister filter are plugged into just the surge protector part. The air pumps that drive the sponge filters are plugged on the battery backup side of the ups. If power goes out the air pump will run several hours or even last the better part of a day. Heaters, lights, hob/canister filters will quickly drain the battery if plugged into the battery backup side.

Hilde
01-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Try one of these, and it will run *all* your stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390011633&sr=8-4&keywords=cyberpower+cp1500pfclcd
That is too costly for me. That is more than yours, $100 to $300. What brand did you get? How long to yours work?

Meanwhile trying to get the 1 I have to work. Since I pressed the reset button it seems to work when I have it plugged in. Not plugged in it doesn't work. The light, battery wiring fault is red. Possibly it will recharge over night. If not can get a battery for it locally.

Hilde
01-19-2014, 09:02 AM
I use apc ups battery backups. Lights and canister filter are plugged into just the surge protector part. The air pumps that drive the sponge filters are plugged on the battery backup side of the ups.
How big a tank is this? Do keep canister filter and sponge filters running all of the time? My filter, Eheim Classic is 2232 is too strong for my fish in the 20G long, thus the addition of sponge filters would probably too much. Plus sponge filters are annoying to me.

I am thinking of picking APC backup at walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/APC-BE350G-APC-BE350G-350VA-Battery-Back-UPS-ES/10326249. For it has a $75,000 Lifetime Connected Equipment Protection warranty.

hsd
01-19-2014, 11:32 AM
How big a tank is this? Do keep canister filter and sponge filters running all of the time? My filter, Eheim Classic is 2232 is too strong for my fish in the 20G long, thus the addition of sponge filters would probably too much. Plus sponge filters are annoying to me.

I am thinking of picking APC backup at walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/APC-BE350G-APC-BE350G-350VA-Battery-Back-UPS-ES/10326249. For it has a $75,000 Lifetime Connected Equipment Protection warranty.

Those ups backups are only meant to be used for short term, like if the power goes out, they'll give your computer 10-20min to shutdown safely, so you can save your work. Not really meant for a long time solution. The air pumps used a lot less power than a heater, light or canister/hob filter, so they can last a fairly long time. I use sponge filters on most of my tanks, even the tanks that have a canister on them, have a sponge filter as well. The air pump gets powered by the ups backup.

Probably have to look a gas powered generator if really wanted to use heaters and larger filters, as well if the power is out could always plug in other essentials like the fridge and things like that.

Hilde
01-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Those ups backups are only meant to be used for short term, like if the power goes out, they'll give your computer 10-20min to shutdown safely, so you can save your work. The air pumps used a lot less power than a heater, light or canister/hob filter, so they can last a fairly long time.

Seems with the backup I have it is best to replace the Eheim 2232 with a powerhead for the 20G while I am gone. For it is the only item that could get damaged if the power goes out. The internal filter in the 10G and the lights will be okay if the electricity goes off. When it occurs it usually just for a short period. My PC I will just unplug.

Later have to look into an inexpensive backup for PC. For just recently PC and monitor got damaged by electricity. Fortunately the PC just needed a piece that cost $12 and I had kept my old monitor.

The beeping on the backup came back and the light to replace the battery is lit. Thus it must be warning me to replace the battery. If I weren't in a rush I would just get something better on Amazon. Since I am in a rush though going to get the replacement battery at Home Depot.

Hilde
01-25-2014, 09:38 AM
"AVR"..Automatic Voltage Protection, whichj keeps the voltage going to your appliances steady, even if there is a surge or power drop. My filters never go off...unless I turn them off. (Some of the better units are controllable by software, and the "beeping' can actually be disabled.)
Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/OPTI-UPS-SS1200-Stabilizer-Automatic-Regulator/dp/B0007P11M4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390664477&sr=1-2&keywords=.Automatic+Voltage+Protection

caricell
01-25-2014, 04:07 PM
That is just a voltage regulator. You need an UPS.
This one has voltage regulation built in:

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390687847&sr=1-1&keywords=cyberpower+ups

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/OPTI-UPS-SS1200-Stabilizer-Automatic-Regulator/dp/B0007P11M4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390664477&sr=1-2&keywords=.Automatic+Voltage+Protection

Hilde
01-26-2014, 12:05 PM
That is just a voltage regulator. You need an UPS.
This one has voltage regulation built in:

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390687847&sr=1-1&keywords=cyberpower+ups
Price too high for me. I am going to stick with the UPS.

Besides I found the filter that restarted with rattling had some moss stuck in it. Usually I unplug it to feed the fish with no problems. Thus I think the UPS will suffice to protect items from electrical surges from what others have said.

djramsey
01-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Charles Harrison over in St Louis has a big car battery and a power inverter set up. Before the ups's giveout, he plugs the power into the car battery. Says it works up to 24 hours. Has worked reliably for him for years.

Hilde
01-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Charles Harrison over in St Louis has a big car battery and a power inverter set up. Before the ups's giveout, he plugs the power into the car battery. Says it works up to 24 hours. Has worked reliably for him for years.
Interesting!! It is rare though that electricity stays off that long though where I am.

Shangsta
02-04-2014, 06:52 PM
I dont understand why you are so against sponge filters. I have them in all my tanks and run them in conjunction with my other filters. I think it is one of the best things I have done for my tanks as the biological filtration benefits are amazing. They are easy to hide if that is what is bothering you.

Hilde
02-06-2014, 01:11 AM
I dont understand why you are so against sponge filters.
I tried a sponge filter and the noise from the pump and filter irritated a problem I have with my right ear.