PDA

View Full Version : Pterophyllum leopoldi

peathenster
02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
One of the three Pterophyllum species (besides scalare and altum). I've been looking for them for a while and finally received a group yesterday, together with two pairs of Crenicichla notophthalmus. Cute little buggers :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKqXYvfcZM

HN1
02-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Sooo jealous! Grats! :)

peathenster
02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks Len :)

Chris Noto
03-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Wonderful, Peter! I've been seeing leopoldi in pics by European hobbyists for a long time. They are very cool fish. Congratulations.

peathenster
03-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Thanks Chris! They seem pretty hardy so far.

aXio
03-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Awesome fish!

peathenster
03-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Awesome fish!

Thanks. Just moved them out of QT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN0SeR229kE

aXio
03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Great setup for them! They definitely are loving that tall driftwood! What are you planning for the group? And breeding projects or just a show tank?

peathenster
03-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks. Have to keep them in this tank for a few weeks before moving them to a display tank. Would be nice if I can get them to breed. Breeding in capitivity has been reported so I'm hopeful.

Pterophyllum is an interesting genus, especially P. scalare. Different "strains" from different locations look very different. It can be hard to know the actual collecting location though.

aXio
03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks. Have to keep them in this tank for a few weeks before moving them to a display tank. Would be nice if I can get them to breed. Breeding in capitivity has been reported so I'm hopeful.

Pterophyllum is an interesting genus, especially P. scalare. Different "strains" from different locations look very different. It can be hard to know the actual collecting location though.

Not sure if you read the Amazonas magazines or not. But the Angelfish issue last year had some amazing articles about angelfish breeding and genetics. In my opinion well worth buying a back issue which they will sell.

Jakub

peathenster
03-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Not sure if you read the Amazonas magazines or not. But the Angelfish issue last year had some amazing articles about angelfish breeding and genetics. In my opinion well worth buying a back issue which they will sell.

Jakub

I heard about the Jan/Feb issue from last year but haven't read it. The fish on the cover are altums from Simon Forkel, who managed to establish several lines in captivity. Dale Jordan bred one of them (the "Siegrist line") last year and passed the fry to Angelfish USA. Dale is convinced that the Sirgrist line is from Rio Inirida.

There's a group of "Dale Jordan" altums for sale on Aquabid now. They are probably 5th-6th generation in captivity and the middle bars on some of the fish look a bit off. The owner of those fish (Dennis Chang) recently managed to spawn wild altums from both Atabapo and Inirida, which is probably why she's selling these tank bred ones.

So basically things are happening in the Pterophyllum world.... altums are probably not as hard as people used to think. Just a lot of work and dedication.

aXio
03-21-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm about to make the Altum jump. I was going back discus but I've decided it's time for Altums =)

peathenster
03-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Correction: Dale said the group on AB were actually bred from wild Orinoco parents, not from the Forkel line. Here's the link to his thread: http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=31856