PDA

View Full Version : Crenicara punctulatum

mountainman36
02-06-2014, 04:54 PM
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/checkerboard-cichlid/

so i just got some of these...interesting fish i think. the females turn into males....gonna give these guys a try for spawning.

anyone have any luck or experience?

thanks

peathenster
02-07-2014, 08:58 AM
I believe Bob has a group. Very cool fish.

mountainman36
02-07-2014, 06:57 PM
they are doing well, semi aggresive to each other so thats a good sign, nothing major, just pushing them around. Ill be very curious to see if anyone has spawned them.
the fact that they change sex is super cool, i knew clown fishes do that, but this is the only known cichlid that does that. super interesting to me

BobMajor
02-10-2014, 01:23 PM
I have a dozen or so that I got about a year ago at about !.5 ".Today the dominant male is 5" and the females about 4" and some of the non dominant ones 2-3 ".They are in a 70 gal tank with a few corys and apistos.The tank has lots of drift wood and clay pots.Only in the last month or so has the large male and one of the larger females taken over one side of the tank.The female guards the territory aggressively with the male just keeping her company.I have not witnessed any spawning or fry yet.If you fish are still small I would say that It will be awhile before they are up to breeding size

mountainman36
02-10-2014, 05:52 PM
thanks Bob, for both your replies.
I think ill move them to a 40 breeder soon enough, perhaps my 90 planted if i ever get time to set that back up. Right now they are in a 15....i would love to see some full grown ones. i think its fascinating how they change sex. unusual for fishes, and unique for cichlids, hope to get some spawns eventually. they are 2 inches or so right now.

they are eating well. all types of food
What temperature do you keep them at Bob?

Thanks again

Richard

peathenster
02-10-2014, 07:03 PM
It's not exactly "changing sex". They are basically protogynous sequential hermaphrodites.

Igster
02-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Ok, that's a mouthful, even for my science/ biology background LOL...Sequential hermaphrodites I got, it's the first word that floored me ;)

peathenster
02-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Lol it means starting out as females, and developing male secondary sex characteristics later. Some species do the opposite.