PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma pandurini

mountainman36
02-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Help with these guys too, just got 6 today with the hercules or checkerboard cichlids....aim to breed them, so whatever help you can give.
thanks
Richard

mountainman36
02-09-2014, 11:17 AM
anyone?

thanks

richard

Igster
02-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Years ago I had a pair but the female jumped out of the tank before I could get them to breed. Standard Apisto treatment is my guess - soft water, covered tank, plants, plenty of hiding spots, and a few dried almond or oak leaves to set the mood...plenty of live or good quality frozen food to condition them, and then once they are nice and plump, a water temp drop (cooler, to simulate a rainfall) during a 50 - 75% water change, warming back up gradually, should trigger a breeding response. Apisto experts, feel free to chime in, especially if my leaves have fallen short of the pool ;)

Mark V.

ahud
02-09-2014, 05:59 PM
A. panduro has been the most willing spawner I have kept as far as apistos go. You did well getting six, as panduro tends to be picky about choosing a mate. The hard part is usually getting a viable pair. IME A. panduro do better in a larger tank until they form a pair. As was previously stated they need soft water and plenty of caves for successful spawning.

The neat thing about A. panduro is the male is allowed to help out with broodcare. My male actively helps defend the fry, and the female does not chase him away from the fry.

mountainman36
02-09-2014, 10:03 PM
thanks guys. they are all in a 5 gallon with a bunch of cory habrosus....everyone is sub adult now, 3/4 inch to 1 inch. i will try a bigger tank soon, i have a ten i can get them in.
As for the leaves - do you guys just grab some from outside, or do you have better luck with the indian almond leaves....seems silly to pay for leaves when i have plenty on the ground....

thanks again

hsd
02-10-2014, 08:29 AM
I have used oak leaves from a friend's yard, the big thing is to make sure nothing has been sprayed in the yard. I tend to stick a few of those cheap terracotta pots in the tank at opposite ends of the tank, driftwood works too, and then just a bunch of plants in the middle.

BobMajor
02-10-2014, 01:08 PM
i am keeping panduro and I would not mess with any leaves.These fish were most likely tank raised and adjusted to non modified water unlike wild fish which I would recommend adding the leaves .Panduro are a high metabolism apisto and pick and bully each other till they pair off .The weaker ones tend to die off because of stress or lack of getting enough food.If you see this behavior you need to remove the picked on fish or he will soon be dead.They are not hard to keep or breed.I feed only live or frozen foods.