PDA

View Full Version : Reef sand for Multi tank?

mrworf
02-09-2014, 03:24 AM
Question:I have a 20# bag of Bio active Live Aragonite Reef sand mistakenly sent to me. This is for salt water. If I use it for a Shellie tank, would it present a problem, or should I just deal with the hassle of returning it? Please give me your collective experience and wisdom. My concern is that it contains LIVE MARINE BACTERIA.

jgilley
02-09-2014, 07:17 AM
They sent you the wrong product? Or it was sent to you and you didnt order any sand? If it was number one I would make the company make it right. If it was number two then sell it. But I have no idea whay shellies are lol so I cant hel p uou on yhe if it would hurt or not

Pierre
02-09-2014, 07:45 AM
My gut feel is that the bacteria for reef will not survive fresh water condition. What I use for my Multis are crushed coral (pretty cheap at Petsupermarket) and Crushed coral with either black diamond "sand" or regular pool filter (Home Depot $5.48) that goes over the coral.

Uptown Ruler
02-09-2014, 08:50 AM
It's not for freshwater tanks...wouldn't use it

mountainman36
02-09-2014, 11:16 AM
its useless as a bio active product in freshwater. esentially the bio active stuff will all die off in freshwater, so it will no longer be bio active, for a few months until your freshwater biology and bacteria colonize it.

It will do just fine, thing is though, as all that marine bio stuff dies from the fresh water it will foul the tank, so if you use it, put it in a bucket first, change water a couple times, then put it in the tank, and wait another week or so i think, with a few more water changes in between. pH will be high, like a marine sand, or gravel would make it, so that wont be a problem for the shellies.....just basically you spent extra money for a live product that wont live in your situation....

also, you could let it dry out completely and rinse it a few times that way.

aXio
02-09-2014, 12:56 PM
It will be perfectly fine using the sand. The bacteria in the bag will more likely die off and regrow new bacteria. But it is just an aragonite based sand just like all the African cichlid gravels and sands are. We use marine sand all the time on our African service tanks and sell it to customers as well. We have actually found it works better to keep the PH stable then a lot of the African gravels do. If you decide to use it I would rinse it off so the dead bacteria doesn't foul your water.

Jakub

CHOPPER
02-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Thats what I use alot for some of my African tanks and it works great for maintaining the PH.I have never had a problem with it but you will need to rinse it good