PDA

View Full Version : Angel laid eggs in community tank

jtill
02-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Angels just laid eggs in community tank on a piece of fake coral. Can we move the eggs only to a 10 gallon?

mountainman36
02-11-2014, 06:55 PM
yes, its an easy thing, but its will require a few things: You will need to filter the tank if possible eventually. once the eggs hatch, and even a little before, ammonia will start to accumulate. once you start feeding them a few days after they hatch, ammonia will accumulate even faster.

First however you need to do something to circulate the water around the eggs so they dont fungus. An air stone bubbling moderately to lightly under or just next to the eggs will help.
An anti fungal like methlyene blue or acriflavine is helpfull as well. Use the same water from the community tank as well.

OR just let them be and see if the angels can take care of them on their own. unlikely if its their first spawn, but it could happen.

caricell
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
It *is* possible to move eggs and hatch them in another tank. I have often moved "wigglers" still attached to a leaf to another tank, and did it as recently as two weeks ago. From that batch, I now have about 50-60 swimmers that are ravenously eating live BBS.

-- Use the same tank water where they were laid in the new 10 gal. tank. Make to 10 gal tank bare-bottom.
-- Move the coral as quickly as possible and make sure the temperature is about the same in the new tank.
--Some light water circulation over the eggs would be good, can be from a small HOB filter, doesnt have to be an airstone (in fact, i've never had luck with airstones.)
--Some methyline blue in the water is good to stop fungusing...though I've still had batches get fungus even with methyline blue.
--Once the eggs hatch,use an eye dropper to carefully remove any fungused eggs from the piece of coral. This will allow the remaining wigglers to survive without getting caught up in the fungus as well.
--When removing the fungused eggs with the eye dropper, some live wigglers may get caught up in the eye dropper as well. That's OK!. Just shoot them back into the tank and let them lay wiggling on the bottom. Any ones that end up on the bottom will gather together into a ball at night when they go to sleep.
--About a day before the babies are free-swimming, you NEED to start hatching some BBS. Without that your chance of survival of any number of babies will be severely limited.

If you get this far, half the battle is over. Now get the live BBS ready. Once free-swimming, start feeding small portions of the BBS. Turn off ANY kind of circulation in the tank so the babies can easily grab the BBS.

Good luck!

Larry

Angels just laid eggs in community tank on a piece of fake coral. Can we move the eggs only to a 10 gallon?

mountainman36
02-11-2014, 08:49 PM
surprised you have never had luck with airstones....ive had dozens of spawns survive with air and meth blue.......one trick i learned a long time ago, frozen rotifers, and green water. ive had my best success with fry when using those two for the first few days to week......the bbs are fine, but the first few days they often wont eat them as they are still a bit too large.

caricell
02-11-2014, 10:54 PM
For the first two days I use live BBS and throw in a bit of first bites powder. You're correct..the first two days of free swimming *some* are too small to eat the BBS...so they get started on the powder. Many are able to though, and they get a great headstart on growth.

surprised you have never had luck with airstones....ive had dozens of spawns survive with air and meth blue.......one trick i learned a long time ago, frozen rotifers, and green water. ive had my best success with fry when using those two for the first few days to week......the bbs are fine, but the first few days they often wont eat them as they are still a bit too large.

54RICHARDI
02-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Been breeding angelfish exclusively since the late 1970s and always had success feeding newly hatched baby brine shrimp. I hatch separately from parents in a specimen container or old power filter box hung inside an aquarium, usually the one I will transfer the baby angels once they a big enough and they become acclimated to the water. Once they look like miniatures of their parents I start feeding them crushed flake food along with the BBS. Learned a lot by chance but got a large amount of knowledge from an old paperback book named Angelfish by Braz Walker. Good luck.