PDA

View Full Version : Black blasting sand from Tractor Supply

Cichlid
02-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Has anyone used this with success? I have a 75 gallon tank with cichlids and was thinking about doing this in it. Also could I add anything with the sand other than a powder to up the ph. Maybe a mixture of crushed coral etc. Here is the sand http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/black-diamond-20-40-blasting-media-50-lb

Adrian912
02-25-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm using it at the moment, great stuff. Wonderfully cheap :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

J.B.
02-25-2014, 10:17 PM
+1...used it in several tanks with no issues...just rinse it really well before putting it in your tank.

BobMajor
02-25-2014, 10:27 PM
I also get my substraight from tractor supply but I use Chicken grit, it dosent pack as tight as sand and therefore less likly to promote anarobic blooms. It comes in crushed granite or crushed oyster shell .I use the crushed granite since I keep fish that prefer neutral to acidic conditions (the granite is inert and does not add anything to the water ph.The oyster shell would be good for africans since it tends to raise the ph

hsd
02-25-2014, 11:39 PM
I have used it without any issues. Great price 8 bucks for 50 pounds. If you look over on plantedtank.net and search black blasting media, should be able to turn up some threads with pics of how well it looks.

Mog Carns
02-26-2014, 07:08 AM
I use it, and I have never once rinsed it.

20/40 works wonderfully. Some people don't realize the numbers matter and buy 30/60 because that is what the store has. 30/60 is the stuff that needs rinsing to get rid of the tiny particles that compact at the bottom, won't settle at the top, and damage filters.

It is coal slag... completely inert and safe. My Kribs dig in it, rub on it, and chew it without injury.

If this sounds rehearsed, it is. This is a popular topic on other aquarium forums... usually with two or three people that come out of nowhere to explain how they tired it once, all their fish died, and if you really cared about your "insert fish here" you would use their $150 for 20 pounds Tahiti Moon Sand or some such nonsense.

caricell
02-26-2014, 07:13 AM
I use black blasting sand from Northern Tool on Cobb Parkway almost exclusively in most of my tanks. Have never had a bit of problem with it.

heatherbeast
02-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Do you happen to recall what brand? I had to give Black Diamond a good three rinses or so to remove dust, and the water was still murky for a few days. Overall I am satisfied with it in my smaller tanks, and would strongly consider a mixture of it and garnet sand ~SOMEDAY~ when it's time to overhaul the really big tank.

Mog Carns
02-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Northern Tool and Die is Black Diamond Blasting Media.

Pierre
02-26-2014, 11:24 AM
I use it in two tanks with crushed coral as a bottom layer. However, some fish will dig out the crushed coral and you'll see some white on the black sand. I had to give a few good rinses and let it settle for at least 24 hours and remove the floating dust. Seems as mentioned earlier, a larger grain would be better.

J.B.
02-26-2014, 10:39 PM
No reason to go to another forum...here's a pic of my 60gal with it. It was mixed with just a little bit of pool filter sand, so it wasn't completely black.

Here's a FTS...
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/J_BFish/60gal/IMG978.jpg

Here's a closer pic of it...
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/J_BFish/60gal/IMG986.jpg