PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Return to the Hobby

captaineddie
02-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Hello, I live in Jasper and have been away from keeping tropical fish for several years. I got my first aquarium when I was about ten years old and still have it. It's a 29 gallon Metaframe (I know ANCIENT!). I'm wondering about the practicality of setting this one back-up or just looking for a good used 55-75 gallon system. Anyway, I look forward to getting back into the hobby!

Demonfish
02-25-2014, 04:34 PM
A metaframe tank that has been dry for several years may require resealing. Scrape out the old silicone and replace with new. You may also need to replace the cord on the light fixture with a polarized lamp cord. If this is too much trouble look for a $1/gallon sale or come to our Spring Auction, March 30th. But do not throw out the old tank. They are collector's items now and you could likely sell it on e-bay or this or another forum. Used 55 systems run $100-$300 on craigslist with regularity. If you are willing to come to Atlanta to pick up, you should be able to find something usable in a month or two, max. Movers don't make taking larger tanks with you worth it.

captaineddie
02-25-2014, 04:41 PM
A metaframe tank that has been dry for several years may require resealing. Scrape out the old silicone and replace with new. If this is too much trouble look for a $1/gallon sale or come to our Spring Auction, March 30th. But do not throw out the old tank. They are collector's items now and you could likely sell it on e-bay or this or another forum. Used 55 systems run $100-$300 on craigslist with regularity. If you are willing to come to Atlanta to pick up, you should be able to find something usable in a month or two, max. Movers don't make taking larger tanks with you worth it.
The aquarium was last used about four or five years ago, so resealing it is most likely needed. I've already been cruising Craigslist and driving to Atlanta isn't a problem. I'm going to have to do a lot of learning. A lot has changed since the 1960s!!

Demonfish
02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Everything that worked before still works. But there are a lot more choices in filters and lights now than there used to be. Freshwater fish are comparatively cheap now. The $6 cichlid from 1980 is still $6. Bacteria in a bottle products like Stability are great for startup. Disease is more of an issue that I remember. You won't QT your first tank, but consider it for any subsequent fish. Feel the old sealant and see if it still flexible and resistant and not pulling away from the sides. You may be able to make do with an outdoor leak test and avoid resealing.

If you make bookmarks for "fishtank" "fish tank" and "aquarium" in "all community" and "all for sale" on the local CL. Then you can just click down the list when you are bored. Watch out for scammers, don't send money and bring company to see tanks. Ask on this forum what stuff is worth.

captaineddie
02-25-2014, 05:16 PM
I will have to buy all new accessories if I use the tank. Everything was discarded when I tore it down, so I'll have the learn about what's best to use nowdays. If I can manage it, I would like a tank with a lot of plants. Making them thrive used to be a pretty difficult task.

Garfieldnfish
02-25-2014, 05:49 PM
You should really come to the spring auction. You can get a pretty good idea of what's current and you might be able to pick up a larger tank at a great price. If I had the space I would have gone crazy at the last fall auction. Some nice tanks were up for bid. The plant selection at the semi annual auctions cannot be beat by any store. That is the main reason I go there each time. I don't have a green thumb and often my plants do not survive the winter (or the summer) and I have to re-plant. I could not afford that if it were not for the auctions.

HN1
02-25-2014, 06:37 PM
I agree with the others. You should definitely come to the meeting this Sat &/or the big auction on 3/30.

I love, love, love the old tanks. If you ever want to trade let me know.

Mog Carns
02-26-2014, 07:13 AM
The main difference between the 60s and now is 300 generations of inbreeding in captive grown fish stocks.