PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to make a gourami less aggressive

dixonga
03-16-2014, 12:20 AM
A couple of weeks ago I introduced a male and a female blue gourami to my 50gal community tank. Since then I had 2 casualties, a beta and a guppy. it looks like the female gourami is the culprit as she likes to chase after every fish including the male gourami. Short of putting her in the oscar tank, is there a way to make her less aggressive?

insite
03-16-2014, 01:42 AM
Add 2-3 more. I had a similar issue with snakeskin gourami w/ only a pair in my kid's 55g. I added 3 & things quieted down.

Mog Carns
03-16-2014, 10:09 AM
By blue gourami... do you mean a "blue gourami", or a "powder blue dwarf gourami"?

A blue gourami, also known as a three spot gourami, are well known as a very aggressive species... especially to anything smaller then them, and especially to anything colorful or with flowing fins... like a guppy or betta.

If it is the dwarf gourami, adding more will sometimes work. It's not because they feel safe in big groups... the opposite really. If there is a lot of dwarf gourami in the tank... they are too scared to launch an attack because it leaves them open to attack. Basically, they are stuck in defensive mode all the time.

However, when dealing with anabantids... before you buy, the question is always "What is your plan B?" They have a lot of personality... and sometimes that personality is just homicidal. Some will not be in a tank with ANYTHING.

aXio
03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
By blue gourami... do you mean a "blue gourami", or a "powder blue dwarf gourami"?

A blue gourami, also known as a three spot gourami, are well known as a very aggressive species... especially to anything smaller then them, and especially to anything colorful or with flowing fins... like a guppy or betta.

If it is the dwarf gourami, adding more will sometimes work. It's not because they feel safe in big groups... the opposite really. If there is a lot of dwarf gourami in the tank... they are too scared to launch an attack because it leaves them open to attack. Basically, they are stuck in defensive mode all the time.

However, when dealing with anabantids... before you buy, the question is always "What is your plan B?" They have a lot of personality... and sometimes that personality is just homicidal. Some will not be in a tank with ANYTHING.

Agreed. You might want to think about swapping it out for something else at your LFS. Even if you do add more Gourami most of the time it will only fixes agression between the Gourami and not towards other fish.

dixonga
03-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Yes it is a blue gourami and not a dwarf one. For now, I have isolated them in a 5gal tank that I use for breeding purposes but that seems like a temporary solutions. I do have a golden gourami in the community tank and she is not aggressive at all which is why I got the 2 blue ones thinking they would be a friendly as the other ones.

At least now I have an excuse to buy a 100 gallon tank, and turn the 50gal for my gourami and other fishes of the same size! I tell you, once start it's hard to stop

dixonga
03-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Agreed. You might want to think about swapping it out for something else at your LFS. Even if you do add more Gourami most of the time it will only fixes agression between the Gourami and towards other fish.

Yes, I did think about it, but I just hate to give up on a pet