PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Rack Height

Adrian912
03-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Ok so I have a question for you guys. I am about to build an aquarium rack that will have three tiers of tanks. My question is this; So long as I am level, is there danger of it falling forward? My thought is that there are going to be two other tanks roughly 55" high that are going to weigh 640 lbs just in water and therefore would act as a solid support in keeping the third tank in place and not allow any swaying. Thoughts?

ronv
03-19-2014, 02:31 PM
First...How level is the floor? That will affect stability. There is always a risk of toppling. The legs of the rack need to be as far apart as possible for stability. Also, can you anchor the top shelf to the wall behind?

Adrian912
03-19-2014, 05:48 PM
First...How level is the floor? That will affect stability. There is always a risk of toppling. The legs of the rack need to be as far apart as possible for stability. Also, can you anchor the top shelf to the wall behind?

I got concrete behind the rack. What would you recommend using to anchor it to the wall?

ronv
03-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Concrete anchor. Ask for it at Home Depot/ Lowes.

Demonfish
03-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Aquariums are really hard to tip as the force is straight down. However, when we did concrete blocks and 4'x 4's, we went back and added an end-cap to tie the tier together. It was possible to make the whole 8' long rack sway side to side by leaning on it.. It make me and the fish nervous, Once a tank is more than 1/5 off-center the risk is real of toppling. It would never just fall, but it you tripped and fell into it just the wrong way I could see it going over. tying to the wall is a good plan..