PDA

View Full Version : Black beard/bush algae



krystlerose
04-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Set up a 55 planted in January and used some water from a friends tank and bam black beard everywhere and can't get rid of it. Got snails and some siamese algae eaters but nothing seems to work. Anyone know of anything that works and won't harm the fish or plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mog Carns
04-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Remove the fish, bleach the tank, burn the plants, pour the substrate around your flowerbed and smash any hardscape with a particle collider. Then pressure wash the room and move to a new house.


Few things... regardless of what you read on the internet...

A few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide squirted in very tiny amounts directly on the algae will kill all your fish and plants, but leave the algae untouched.

All fish, including Siamese Algae Eaters, prefer tasty fish food to bitter red algae. They eat it only when starved. Most choose death.

Red algae kills everything in the ocean... I am pretty sure this stuff siphons the oxygen from the water.

If you also feel the need to destroy the hood and stand... no one will judge you harshly.

peathenster
04-05-2014, 12:19 AM
"Plant people" will tell you that it's the imbalance of lighting and water chemistry (high nitrate and high phosphate), and that's what needs to be addressed. The algae will slowly die off or at least be under control once you do that. There are some older threads on this topic.

Edit: like this one - http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/showthread.php?2410-Methods-of-Algae-Control

spidangular
04-05-2014, 01:29 AM
If it's on Hard scape just take it out and let it sit overnight. Algae will die out of waters. Sounds like your main problem is a 'food' balance. Don't feed your tank for two or three days so starve your SAE into being less picky. Then feed it lightly once a day to keep every body alive until the SAE is able to catch up. It's the only way I keep my SAE effective for algae control.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLHam3
04-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Do you have any source of carbon? I generally find a lot more of the hair algaes in tanks with higher than average light but no carbon. Injecting CO2 is the most efficient way to do it but if that's out of you price range, look into excel combined with other forms of liquid fertilizer.

Other tricks that have worked for me are nerite snails and cutting down on the photo period. If it's already at 8 hours a day consider giving your plants s 3-4 hour siesta period

Larry Bugg
04-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Do you have any source of carbon? I generally find a lot more of the hair algaes in tanks with higher than average light but no carbon. Injecting CO2 is the most efficient way to do it but if that's out of you price range, look into excel combined with other forms of liquid fertilizer.

Other tricks that have worked for me are nerite snails and cutting down on the photo period. If it's already at 8 hours a day consider giving your plants s 3-4 hour siesta period

Ding, ding, ding, ding. This is the correct answer. As Peter said and stated above, BB Algae is due to an imbalance of light, Co2 and nutrients. Usually the result of too much light and not enough Co2. To correct the problem long term you need to either reduce the amount of light or add Co2. It did not come by adding water from a different tank.

To get rid of what is already there you can spot treat the BB using Seachem Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide. Put a little of either product in a syringe, turn off your filters so there is no water movement, and squirt it directly onto the BB. After about 5 minutes turn your filter back on. This will not harm your fish or your plants. In a day or so you will see the BB turn a different color and it will be dead. Unless you correct the initial problem though, it will come right back again.

aXio
04-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Remove the fish, bleach the tank, burn the plants, pour the substrate around your flowerbed and smash any hardscape with a particle collider. Then pressure wash the room and move to a new house.


Few things... regardless of what you read on the internet...

A few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide squirted in very tiny amounts directly on the algae will kill all your fish and plants, but leave the algae untouched.

All fish, including Siamese Algae Eaters, prefer tasty fish food to bitter red algae. They eat it only when starved. Most choose death.

Red algae kills everything in the ocean... I am pretty sure this stuff siphons the oxygen from the water.

If you also feel the need to destroy the hood and stand... no one will judge you harshly.

Bahahahaha!

krystlerose
04-07-2014, 01:47 AM
Wow thanks so much to everyone gonna try the peroxide. Also heard dipping plants in 50/50 bleach n water for 30 seconds rinse and return to tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Garfieldnfish
04-07-2014, 07:32 AM
I have 19 tanks. I treat all my tanks the same way, same water, same time the light is on, no CO2 and no fertilizer. I do have a tendency to overfeed but I only have BBA in one tank and I cannot get it under control. In another tank there is some green algae that looks almost like a mix of moss balls and sponge but grows on the driftwood, really pretty. I have come to accept the fact that these two tanks have algae and always will and since have been much happier.

Hilde
04-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Algae treatment One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment seems interesting. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684

krystlerose
04-18-2014, 09:25 PM
I have just excepted the algae for now lol II went from running both bulbs to just one and there has been no new growth ( that I've noticed) the sae are eating at it everyone I see them and the lionhead goldfish has been eating some off of my uv sterilizer to my surprise. If it starts killing my plants again then I will jump back into action but for now I'm just gonna enjoy my jungle :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Demonfish
04-21-2014, 04:44 PM
sounds like you've at least stopped the advance. I hate this stuff, it clogs impellers and filter intakes.

Hilde
04-21-2014, 05:13 PM
I once got rid of it dosing with potassium nitrate (KN03) and adding a 3hr siesta period. Then tap water ph 8.6 and water very soft. Symptom of water being treated with phosphates.

Chris Noto
04-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Remove the fish, bleach the tank, burn the plants, pour the substrate around your flowerbed and smash any hardscape with a particle collider. Then pressure wash the room and move to a new house.

No one has yet mentioned the need to salt the ground where the house once stood. . .

Hilde
04-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Remove the fish, bleach the tank, burn the plants, pour the substrate around your flowerbed and smash any hardscape with a particle collider. Then pressure wash the room and move to a new house.

A few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide squirted in very tiny amounts directly on the algae will kill all your fish and plants, but leave the algae untouched.

If you also feel the need to destroy the hood and stand... no one will judge you harshly.
I squirt Hydro. Peroxide in my tanks weekly and have no problems.

Such drastic antitode to his problem. I guess you will be helping him replace everything. (Not)

Neokoi
04-25-2014, 09:33 AM
I have used Potassium Permanganate (KMNO4) turns water purple then brown when algae is dead... the a little squirt of H2O2 Hyrdogen peroxide will turn the water clear....

Mog Carns
04-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Only time I saw the stuff, I let the frogbit cover the top of the tank for a couple weeks. It had started growing in the lower light.
It continued to grow thereafter. I cut leaves and washed decorations to get rid of it, but it came back.

I used a kid's medicine dropper. H2O2. 40G tank.

I squirted less than half the volume of the dropper.


5 of the 10 neons that I had had for years started death spirals.



I did a 80% water change. The other 5 neons were dead before I had the water drained. Harlequin Rasboras were dying by the time I started filling.
Panda Cories, Cherry Barbs, and Otos were dead less than an hour after I squirted.

The Betta is the only fish that survived relocation. I put him in a 10g, where he lived several more months.




For the record, I didn't move, but the rest is a fairly accurate representation of my reaction.

Hilde
04-25-2014, 09:12 PM
I have used Potassium Permanganate (KMNO4) turns water purple then brown when algae is dead... the a little squirt of H2O2 Hyrdogen peroxide will turn the water clear....
I would like to more about that. Fish in tank at time? The powdered form dilluted?