PDA

View Full Version : help! leaking Eheim filter

ronv
04-07-2014, 06:18 AM
I purchased an Eheim pro II 2028 from a club member several months ago. I was told it leaked and got it at a good price so I have no complaints but I can't seem to get the leak stopped. I finally bought a new gasket and just installed it. No help. It still leaks. What should I try next?

AllenIsbell
04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Try putting petroleum jelly around all seals. That is what I do when I have a leaky seal.

ronv
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
I did that when I installed it. Should I put more?

Demonfish
04-07-2014, 02:26 PM
use dow corning white silicone vacuum grease. Petroleum jelly will attack some gasket materials. There is also an impeller cover that you can replace. Could also be a small crack in any hard plastic part. Do you have other hoses you can try? The plastic canister part is also replaceable, but hard to find for old models.

mountainman36
04-08-2014, 06:13 AM
you can get gasket lube at swimming pool supply stores, and YES, petroleum, or vaseline isnt good for gaskets....so ive been told. I use a lot of silicone lube for my pond work, and it works well. IF thats the issue.

Where is the leak coming from? we all assumed it was from the seal, but it may not be. ive used a heavy duty silicone sealer to seal stuff like that, if its a pin hole or a small crack in the housing

AllenIsbell
04-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Good to know. I will not use petroleum jelly on my stuff any more.

ronv
04-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Oh my. Petroleum jelly not good! I just loaded the gasket with this stuff. I wanted to make sure I fixed the problem if that was the cause. All my tropheus are gasping at the surface. Starting a massive water change now!!!

ronv
04-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Lost one fish. The rest are kind of "treading water' and shimming in place but still alive. Gosh it had to be my prize tank. Full of adult Tropheus duboisi maswa. Ron ... you idiot. When will you learn not to experiment on your best tank...

Demonfish
04-11-2014, 02:03 PM
It totally depends on the gasket material, some are fine with PJ, others swell, flake or get gummy. Without knowing what the gasket is made of, I avoid it. PJ shouldn't be bad by itself in an aquarium except for maybe making an oily film. But a good quality silicone with have a higher, more consistent molecular weight and thus stay in place longer.

ronv
04-11-2014, 02:26 PM
PJ shouldn't be bad by itself in an aquarium except for maybe making an oily film.

Something is killing my fish. The only thing new is the PJ. I think it has poisoned my fish.

Roger
04-11-2014, 04:08 PM
I have been using PJ on gaskets for decades and have not lost a fish or gasket as a result. I used it repeatedly with filters that I had for more than 20 years. I mostly used it with o'rings on Eheims, Magnums and Vortex diatom filters but have used it with other brands also. I have not used it on cheap filters as I don't have any.

Demonfish
04-11-2014, 05:13 PM
The magnum comes with a tube of white silicone grease and I think it says to silicone on the o-ring in its docs. Don't know about e-heims.

oxheart
04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
just my 2 cents I had 2 of those both developed a leak at the inner o ring . It is a sealed area . looked on line at many posts how these are subject to this . boxed them up set them back to ehiem . They "fixed" them sent back 2 months later same leak . These 2 filter now reside at the city dump .
Rick

Roger
04-12-2014, 01:06 AM
They did not come with silicone in the 80's. The silicone sample is a more recent addition.

ronv
04-12-2014, 06:27 AM
I found the leak problem.... One of the corner clamps is broken. I wonder if replacements are available.

oxheart
04-12-2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.eheimparts.com/display_product.php?pid=2026 think this will work

ronv
04-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks oxheart... exactly what I need. BTW, all the tropheus are doing fine today. So I only lost one.

oxheart
04-12-2014, 04:53 PM
watch them for the next few days , stress is a bad thing with trophs . watch expecially for individuals not eating . Now would be a good time to feed them some food with metronidazole . do you use salt ?
Rick

ronv
04-12-2014, 05:03 PM
do you use salt ?
Rick
Yes. I buffer with salt, Epson salt and baking soda. I have some metro. powder. So, I would mix some powder in water and then soak the food?

oxheart
04-12-2014, 06:16 PM
yes , will help if you have some focus . would only feed it maybe 2 times .