PDA

View Full Version : Nanochromis Teugelsi Spawn

jthamm2003
04-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Hi!
I have a pair of Nanochromis tuegelsi. They spawn for the first time while I was away for a weekend (not sure when). The eggs were lain in a split flower pot at the back of the tank and visible but easy to see clearly. By the time I found them, they appear to be white (no visible fuzz as if fungused but probably not fertile. The color is difficult to tell for since given the placement and tannins in the water. Over the next couple of days the parents very actively fanned and mouthed the eggs. Starting last night there were fewer and fewer on the flower pot and I could see at least a couple on the substrate in the back corner of the cave. It's possible they hatched but I'm thinking they are infertile. I read on-line that other members of Nanochromis require very low pH (4.5 - 5) for fertile eggs; I'm at 6.5 and planning to bring this down.
Anyone with experience with Nanochromis? Thoughts on the proper pH for spawning?

Thanks!!

ronv
04-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Can't offer suggestions but I'm interested in fry when you have some available.

BobMajor
04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
nanochromis are a riverine species and not from the ritt lakes.I have kept and bred them in Atlanta water(near neulral ph) with no problem >If the eggs are fungusing my guess is the water is too soft rather than a ph problem