PDA

View Full Version : Need a planted tank mentor !!!!!!

celticjewel
04-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I would like to be able to talk, by phone, with someone who is really into planted aquariums, with a lot of knowledge. I have a 55 , pressurized co2 system, 4 t-5 56 watt lights, Fluval 406 filter, power head to move water. I tried to post a pic, but couldn't get it to work. I am having a green algae problem, at moment. I would just like to be able to talk w/ someone when I have questions. Someone who could help instruct me on making the best planted tank. I hate typing, lol. Thanks Stephanie

celticjewel
04-08-2014, 05:44 PM
2814This is my tank, that I need help with information.

Mog Carns
04-08-2014, 09:30 PM
I am NOT any kind of expert, but I have been listening long enough to know what you will be told... if it helps. Think of me as a parrot that can mimic the words, but have no real understanding of what I am saying.

First, it is best to attack the actual cause of the issue instead of treating the symptoms.

You have an imbalance in the light or the nutrients. The light is the easiest thing to vary. Try introducing a mid day rest period with the lights off. The duration is debated, but replies of 1 to 4 hours are given as providing good results. If that does not resolve your issue, try reducing the duration of the total photoperiod. Theoretically, the same thing can be done with filtration, but that is much, much more difficult to fine tune.

Realistically, any tank running on the edge is going to grow some algae.
It is natural and healthy to have a littler bit of algae growing in the tank. Especially when breeding is involved, some algae can be required for the fry's survival or as a general food source for even adult fishes. However, algae can become an issue if it becomes unruly. If the algae is mostly landing on glass surfaces and removable pieces like filters, it is up to us as keepers to clean up.

Animals can help you.
Green algae is easily combated with the aid of invertebrates or fish. Nerite snails and Amano shrimp are commonly used in higher mineral waters to eat algae. they cannot take over the tank as they require brackish water to reproduce. For this reason, they are expensive, and you need a lot of them to clean a tank. I have heard one per gallon per Amano, 1 per 5 gallons for the Nerite. Red Cherry Shrimp and Red Crystal Shrimp can also be used... they are not as good at the task, but they are prolific and self sustaining unless the fish are large enough to find them tasty. Finally, if the water is so soft as to melt invert shells, or the tank is used for egg layers to breed, the Otocinclus is a wonderful fish that cleans better than any other and will not touch fish eggs. However, they are not well farm raised, and wild caught specimens are foully treated in their trip from the Amazon. This kills the bacteria in their stomachs and they slowly starve to death in your tank. Purchase to maintain one per 10 gallons, and expect 70% losses. Fortunately, if too many survive, they resale well.

Once the algae is cleared up, remember to feed your algae eaters a plant based food supplement... be it the occasional fresh vegetable, or a plant based wafer or pellet.

Roger
04-09-2014, 01:42 AM
I sent you a PM

ahabion
05-11-2014, 01:07 AM
Looks like you have healthy plants so I'm guessing you've got params good for food. Also looks like you should have more than enough plants to out compete most algae if this were a balanced tank.

The culprits then, to me, are 1) how often are your water changes and 2) how long are your lights on?

I don't do any dosing of chemicals to grow my plants and only do pressurized co2. I limit lights to 6 hours every day from 4pm to 10pm when I'm home. I still get minimal algae growth but nothing like I've had before when my lights were on from 12pm to 10pm. It certainly takes a bit of adjusting to see how much light you need.

Prasanna Kumara PK
06-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Did you try Excel or Metricide ? Whenever I did dirt-tanks ( yep , I watched too much Dustins fish tanks ) it even controlled the bloom from the dirt.

Picaso
12-14-2014, 05:09 PM
I need help installing planted frontosa Aquarium willing to pay

Igster
12-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Not sure if it's a good idea to mix plants and frontosas...they are diggers, so a planted tank would not stay planted for long. Maybe a couple of hardy, tough plants in a pot or placed bewteen a couple large rocks where they couldn't be uprooted...an anubias or some giant vallisneria...

Demonfish
12-15-2014, 01:23 AM
java fern attached to rocks, some floating hornwort. You need some salt/alkaline tolerance for Tang.