PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Midtown-Buckhead

jleiker2
04-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Hello all! Well, my first aquarium was a gift from my parents at maybe 6 years old (10 gallons, goldfish and a snail!). Many things have changed since then, as I moved up to a 30 gallon, and then a 90 gallon freshwater tank. After a few years off, I've re-opened my 90 gallon with freshwater tropicals (Angels, Gourami, Rainbow Fish, Loaches, Cory, Pleco, Clams, Bamboo Shrimp, Barbs). This tank is my "baby," and is planted with live plants, etc. I've also started a 55 Gal. long tank with some African Ciclids, Cory, Clams and Pleco.

So, yes, even though I love wine, I think my fishtank(s) have become my most expensive hobby. I've found interesting posts in here re: the lack of fish stores in Atlanta, and I've learned of a few others I'll have to visit! The folks at Premier Aquatics in Marietta are really nice and helpful, and they have a tolerable selection of nice tropicals, although they're better for ciclids. Optimum Aquarium in Kennesaw has a bit more variety of tropical fish as well as ciclids, and are equally nice and helpful, although it's quite a haul from my place! Both also have a perfectly useable selection of aquatic plants.

Finally, just as an FYI, my last home was in Wichita, Kansas. If you're ever there you MUST visit Black Pearl Aquatics. It's a really small shop, owned and operated by a younger guy. However, everything I ever bought there was incredibly happy and healthy. He had a great selection of tropicals, most in display tanks with REAL plants. As soon as I walked in and looked at his aquariums, I could tell they were "happy." Very reasonably priced, and nice folks. When I left, he had just finished the African Ciclid room, and was adding salt-water too. He even had an interesting experiement going with some of the water lines from his pumps feeding hydroponic gardening vertical pipes on the back wall, which drained into another planted tank on the floor. Obviously, he's a real hobbiest!

Anyway, enough rambling. I hope to get to know and even meet some of you as I expand my love for this great hobby!

HN1
04-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Welcome aboard! Hope to meet you at a meeting soon. Our next is May 3rd and should be a great talk. It's on Apistos and being given by Mike Wise.

Pierre
04-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Welcome and thank you for sharing. We look forward to meeting you in person.

Pierre

Perrin150
04-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the club!!!!!:)