PDA

View Full Version : Asparagus

Garfieldnfish
04-18-2014, 06:29 AM
I bought some asparagus and it turned soft, not spoiled just limp not good enough for humans to eat anymore. Would shrimp or fish eat any part of it?

jhw972
04-18-2014, 07:43 AM
One way to try to revive it would be to trim about 1" off the bottom and stand them up in a cup of cold water. THey will soak up the water and usually regain some life. If that doesn't work, I would think that most of the herbivorous fish would eat it, but have never tried (or heard of anyone trying) it in a tank.

djramsey
04-18-2014, 01:57 PM
google asparagus feeding to plecostomus Get lots of hits. Most say ok to feed. Only thing I would watch is if it starts to fungus up on you since it isn't fresh. If you try it, let us know.

Mog Carns
04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
I always age my vegetables that I feed the fish instead of cooking them.

Garfieldnfish
04-27-2014, 08:14 AM
I tried it and could not find a single fish that showed an interest. I removed all the uneaten piece the next morning. Not even the shrimp wanted any part of it.

spidangular
04-27-2014, 01:54 PM
I always age my vegetables that I feed the fish instead of cooking them.

"Age"! That's it!
"Honey, those chips aren't stale, they've just been aged"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mog Carns
04-28-2014, 09:31 AM
I swear. :thumbsup:

"Age" the zuchinni a week until it becomes limp. Cut it up, string it on skewers to keep it in place, and let it go. The first hours, no one cares. The ottos find in the night and begin stripping off the skin. Livebearers and kribs go straight for the middle, and most is gone the second day. Snails and shrimp swarm it. I remove whats left after the second day because it starts to fuzz and smell.

Celery doesn't work.
Asparagus does.
Romaine is nice because they don't eat the spine. Iceburg poofs.
Cabbage is good if you freeze it beforehand.
Anyone else have a veggie that works?

If you use the metal skewers with the loops at the end, you can tie fishing line to it and not even get your hand wet!

djramsey
04-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Sweet peppers, banana peppers, Swiss chard, kale, spinach.