PDA

View Full Version : Cory Breeding Help

Garfieldnfish
04-22-2014, 04:15 PM
I have 2 pygmy corys (a pair from what I can tell) and 6 hastatus corys in the same tank. Last week they laid eggs and so far I have found 12 fry but I have a lot of plants (suesswassertang and java moss) in the tank so I am positive there are many more.
Question I: Which ones are the likely parents? I know pygmys are easier to spawn but I also heard that corys are group spawners and I am not sure 2 is considered a group. The fry are now 2 days old and pictures of pygmy fry and hastatus fry are so similar at that age it is hard to tell even so one of the hastatus cory pictures I found is exactly what these guys look like.
Question 2: Can they cross breed?
Question 3: How many eggs could one female dwarf cory lay each spawning?
Question 4: Does anyone know of a good web forum for corys?

Pierre
04-23-2014, 06:24 AM
Many questions and i can answer only one. I had in the past just a pair of corys that spawned. Here is a link that can help: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/165155-the-breeding-of-corydoras-catfish/

and one on pygmy corys: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-pygmaeus/

djramsey
04-23-2014, 01:50 PM
www.planetcatfish.com

mountainman36
04-23-2014, 10:01 PM
well i have like 5 books on breeding, and have had success with several non dwarf corys.
From what i remember, usually one egg at a time, up to 20 per event, 40 if its a huge momma. wont interbreed, and mostlikely its the larger gruop of 6, so hastatus cories is my guess.

the websites are good listed above.

Garfieldnfish
04-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your responses. I have already checked planetcatfish, one of my favorite sites. I have found 18 so far with probably many more in the moss and suesswassertang. I am leaning more and more toward the hastatus. Also some of the ones I found in the parents' tank look to be a bit bigger. Could be the eggs I found have been from a second spawning which would also point toward the hastatus. One can only wish.

Garfieldnfish
04-30-2014, 06:31 PM
They are hastatus corys. A few are large enough now to show the white spots on the tail.