PDA

View Full Version : What Best to Eat the Remaining Gammarus Shrimp?

Garfieldnfish
04-27-2014, 07:19 AM
I have removed almost all my tangerine tiger shrimp from a 30 gal pleco breeding tank. Heavily planted and also heavily infested with gammarus shrimp, Gammarus shrimp are egg eaters and I am positive are responsible for the death of 4 clutches of L340 eggs and several already hatched L316 fry. I moved the L316 cave with the dad into the tank, the dad left the cave and most of the little fry ventured out of the cave. The eggs sacks of all of them were eaten and the fry died. Only the 5 fry that stayed inside the cave were still alive when I found the carnage. Therefore the gammarus have got to go or at least be reduced in numbers. I have manually taken out over 500 during the last 3 weeks and with the tangerine tigers gone, I am now ready to add some fish to eat at least the newly hatched gammarus to control their numbers. Due to the many plants it will have to be small fish that will not be able to eat pleco fry.
I have available dwarf cory fry (hastatus and habrosus) that could stay even when grown up, CPDs, black darter tetras, micro rasboras and African dwarf frogs. What would be the best to add to the tank of those as I do not want to buy new fish with the possible exception of a few dwarf puffers? But I read a report from one guy that actually bred dwarf puffers that his would not eat gammarus. If anyone can second that for the dwarf puffers than they are out of the running.

Angeredbug
04-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Bag them up and send them to me. My first batch didn't take

Garfieldnfish
04-27-2014, 05:35 PM
I will start collecting more tomorrow. I will let you know when I have a good number together.

Apisto Jim
04-28-2014, 09:24 AM
I have found that the only way to be certain all gammarus shrimp are out of a tank is to completely strip it down and put in new plants, driftwood and decorations that come from a tank without shrimp. They will find the tiniest crack and crevice to hide in and be out of reach of any predator. I had a 20 long I stocked with six apistos and fed them only a little dry food every other day for about six weeks thinking they would clear the tank. As soon as the fish were removed, out came the gammarus.

Gammarus are an excellent food source, but they will destroy the eggs and larvae of egg scatterers. My two cory breeding tanks were stripped down and set up with new driftwood and plants to insure they are shrimp free.

Garfieldnfish
04-28-2014, 10:55 AM
I think copper base meds might do the trick too, they are shrimp after all. I can't use that yet as there are still a few small tangerine tigers in the tank and I prefer the fish method. But if the fish can't do it I will take a few gammarus, expose them to some copper to see how much it will take to kill them. If there are only a few left I would be ok with it. I can always move the pleco caves. I have learned my lesson, so the next cave with egg cluster and dad goes to another tank. Of course I might risk carrying over a few gammarus along with the cave and then the problem spreads. Oh, what to do. I don't want to break this tank down, it's my favorite. If all else fails I move the plecos to another tank and add all the CPDS, frogs, black darters and micro rasboras in this one. At the rate these gammarus reproduce I won't ever have to feed that tank again.
Jim when I first got them from you I kept them in a 20 gal with some other plecos intended as food for them. The gammarus managed to keep a colony going for a very long time somewhere around 2 years but it never exploded like in this tank. I have a pre-filter in this tank due to the tangerine tigers but I think once I remove that it might take care of some of the gammarus as well. I have none left in the 20 gal even so I did nothing to removed those but I added some dwarf corys and I have not seen another gammarus shrimp in months. These corys started to breed recently and their eggs were left alone so I believe it is gammarus free.

Apisto Jim
04-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Copper should do the trick as environmental scientist use them to check for metal concentrations is water. Let us know your results.

The mix you're putting in the tank should keep the shrimp in check. Good luck!