PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Duluth!

EliPhant
05-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Hey guys I'm Eli. I joined this site years ago but never really posted much. I started off with a 10 gallon freshwater tank and then moved onto saltwater nano tanks. I recently gave away my jbj 12 gallon and the livestock I had in it. Now I am back full circle to freshwater, and to be honest it's quite refreshing and I feel like I will enjoy it much more. I'm hoping to continue learning about this hobby (there is always something new to learn!) and hopefully I can also contribute to this community!

I just set up a 29 gallon tank in my apartment and until it is finished cycling, I will be brainstorming what kind of fish I would like to stock it with. I'd like to stick fairly close to a certain biotope, either southeast Asian or South American. If I go the Asian biotope route I was considering a dwarf gourami, a school of H. Rasboras, and maybe a few loaches of some sort. If I go the South American route, I was thinking maybe a blue ram, a school of rummynose tetras, and some corydoras of some sort.

I plan to keep this tank very low maintenance so no plants. I am running a small led light strip so my tank is not very brightly lit. I want that dark look. The picture looks darker than it really is. Once it clears up and I get a better camera I will post more pics.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Pierre
05-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Welcome back Eli. Your tank looks very promising. Personally, I feel you could add a few plants without much maintenance. I have one with Christmas moss, water wisteria and some anubias and all are thriving without much need to do anything and it adds additional stability to the tank IMO.

HN1
05-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Welcome Eli! I agree that some easy, lower light plants would be doable and easy, but either way you're off to a great start. If you're free Saturday, our monthly meeting features a talk by Mike Wise on Apistos. From what I hear, he's a very interesting and incredibly knowledgeable guy so it should be a great talk. Oh, and apistos would be perfect in a 29. ;)

EliPhant
05-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look more into apistos. And if I change my mind about plants, I can upgrade my lighting easily.