PDA

View Full Version : Can I plant outdoor moss in an aquarium??

caricell
05-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Came across some nice outdoor moss in some gardens I visited this weekend. Looks almost like Riccia, but not quite.

Anyone know if it's safe to put this stuff in my tanks and try to grow it?

Thanks!

Larry

stevenjohn21
05-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Do you have a picture of the moss ? I tried this last year and decided to dry start it first, made a great compact carpet but after a few weeks of it being submerged in water it started to go brown and die.
Worth a try though, and it's an excuse to set up yet another tank ;-)

HN1
05-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Most mosses will die submerged. Worth a try in a spare tank, but not worth risking a tank that's stocked. IMO

caricell
05-12-2014, 08:36 PM
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. Very hard to describe...

Do you have a picture of the moss ? I tried this last year and decided to dry start it first, made a great compact carpet but after a few weeks of it being submerged in water it started to go brown and die.

caricell
05-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Good point, Len. I initially put some of it into a tank with fish in it yesterday, but pulled it this morning when I got a little leery about what it might do. Instead, I stuck it in a container with organic dirt and have it in my "emersed" plant-growing container. We'll see how it does there..

Most mosses will die submerged. Worth a try in a spare tank, but not worth risking a tank that's stocked. IMO

caricell
05-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I've attached three pics of this moss (or maybe it's a fern?) If anyone can identify and let me know if it's worth cultivating, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Larry291129122913

mountainman36
05-16-2014, 05:47 PM
looks to me like you have two types of plants there. I would think they would do really well in an aquarium, as long as they were not underwater
i see lots of moss around my ponds and waterfalls, they dont like to be totally submerged. and not running water . heavy to light splashing, and some decent light, 2-3 on a scale of 1-5 i think.