PDA

View Full Version : Multiple species of apistos in a community ?

Jdavis3458
05-13-2014, 02:04 PM
What are your feelings of different types of apistos in a 55g community tank heavily planted of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierre
05-13-2014, 03:04 PM
From Mike Wise (apistos expert who gave a talk earlier this month at our club): " If you don't want accidental crosses, then only keep apistos with different body shapes together. These are not likely to cross breed."

Larry Bugg
05-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I personally wouldn't do it but if you are just going for a community tank and have NO intention of EVER selling the fry then ok. Males you will be able to identify but once mixed you will probably not be able to differentiate a lot of the females. Once mixed you probably won't be able to separate them again.

HN1
05-13-2014, 05:02 PM
You might be able to try some other dwarfs instead of multiple apistos. A 55 with a pair of apistos and a pair of nannacara, laetacara, etc. would be cool IMHO.

Apisto Jim
05-14-2014, 09:11 AM
I agree with Len that a single pair or trio of Apistos mixed with other dwarf species would be a better solution. Mixed Apisto pairs would turn into a real battle field once spawning occurs. You might consider all males but you will have a lot of sparring and losses until a pecking order is established, and even then there will be constant challenges.

peathenster
05-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Like folks said it depends on what you want out of that tank. I did a mixed apisto tank before with a few dozen fish, 4-5 species, all males. Basically a pretty tank with no logic whatsoever...

Uptown Ruler
05-14-2014, 05:16 PM
I have a 40breeder with rams, angels and a pair of apisto Alacrina....all of them have spawned at some point and I have seen little aggression ...they have all been together like this for well over a year

Jdavis3458
05-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all your input at the time I posted this I had 6 panduros 3male 3 female and 1 agazisi male in the tank due to your response i simply added more plants 2 angels 3 Cory cats and 6 blue/green tetras and I am very much enjoying the tank I don't see much need to add any more dwarfs as everyone is getting along well as is and I don't want to rock the boat

Jdavis3458
05-22-2014, 08:37 AM
If I was to add any more dwarfs I believe it would be GBRs and I would wait till the plants grow in much thicker