PDA

View Full Version : Plant fertilizer

Fidaelio
05-14-2014, 06:34 PM
My tank has been planted with Amazon Sword, Jungle val, water sprite, Java & Taiwan moss.. Light setup is twin bulb T5 light, there are only 3 fishes in this 30L tank but noticed plants are turning yellow, they are just 1 week old. so please could you suggest a good brand of liquid fertilizer for these plants? I have no plans for CO2 setup in near future...

hsd
05-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Amazon swords are heavy root feeders, meaning they would do better with fertilizer tablets put into the substrate near their roots. Could go with a store bought root tabs or go with osmocote plus tablets. I think there was someone in the club selling them. More cost effective to go with the osmocote. For a liquid fert, flourish comprehensive is fairly popular. You could go with dry ferts that come in powder form, for about $15-20 could get enough of the dry ferts to last a year or two. Just mix with water and dump into the tank when needed. Greenleafaquariums.com is one place you can get them from.

Fidaelio
05-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks, that was very helpful. I placed an order for Seachem Flourish comprehensive, noted this is very popular in many forums. However for the tablets, osmocote plus tablets are super expensive ($120) or i landed into a wrong product. Found Seachem Flourish Tabs in Amazon.com, are they similar products? Can u pls name the dry fert in greenleafaquarium? all i found is some NPK combinations but no clue which one to use. I understand, wouldn't need all three of them but want to understand their similarities and differences to try next time or other tanks.

Amazon swords are heavy root feeders, meaning they would do better with fertilizer tablets put into the substrate near their roots. Could go with a store bought root tabs or go with osmocote plus tablets. I think there was someone in the club selling them. More cost effective to go with the osmocote. For a liquid fert, flourish comprehensive is fairly popular. You could go with dry ferts that come in powder form, for about $15-20 could get enough of the dry ferts to last a year or two. Just mix with water and dump into the tank when needed. Greenleafaquariums.com is one place you can get them from.

byork
05-15-2014, 07:28 AM
The type of fertilizers you get would depends on the fertilization method you are implementing. There are several methods. NP and K are macronutrients so you need all of them. If you have plenty of fish you may not need to supplement P. However, if you use the inch per gallon rule my tanks are overstocked and at times I have to supplement P. I use KNO3, potassium nitrate, K2SO4, CMS+b, chelated iron, and in smaller amounts MGSO4 (Epsom salt), CaCO2 (calcium carbonate, crushed coral) and KH2PO4.

Root feeding plants will benefit more from substrate fertilization. Osmocote is cheap you can buy it at Home Depot. Empty gel caps are available at your local pharmacy. You simply put the osmocote pellets in the gel cap an stick it under the substrate. This will be far cheaper than anything Seachem manufactures.

In order to determine the combination of fertilizers you need you should review literature on the different methods and come up with whatever fits your situation best. I prefer to test my water and supplement only the nutrients that are deficient. Typically KNO3 does the trick. I have target concentrations and a spreadsheet that I developed to help me calculate the exact amount to add.

There are many useful diagrams on the web that show detailed illustrated examples of different nutrient deficiencies. Those could be useful if you want to determine what nutrient you are lacking that is causes your symptoms.

hsd
05-15-2014, 07:19 PM
The osmocote are diy fert tabs in gel caps like byork described. Ebay and aquabid has a fair bit of sellers that have already put them into the caps. Around 50 for under $5 easy.

For the ferts, this package is good, covers all the bases http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html
A good thing about dosing this way, is ability to adjust the amounts as needed. Look up Estimative Index dosing, sites like plantedtank.net and others have tons of great articles on it.

ahabion
05-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Just to add as well:
I always expect my plants to melt or some of them to die off when I buy new plants or get them from other people. Give it a few weeks before dosing. Typically, you should see new growth begin to come out after a week or so. Look for that.

Fidaelio
05-17-2014, 12:22 AM
This is really helpful, thanks for your valuable points. Now I understand where to start and what to look for.