PDA

View Full Version : Apisto Trio - Single Angel or None?

Rhaethe
05-23-2014, 02:50 PM
My 40 breeder has the following stock:

12 Rummynose tetra
12 Neon Tetra
2 Bolivian Ram
1 Bristlenose Pleco

I am considering adding 8-10 Neon Tetra and an Apisto trio. Possibly borelli. My other alternative is the green neons and a single angelfish. The tank is moderately planted, on its way to heavily.

If this was your tank, which would you add ... or would you leave well enough alone?

Roger
05-23-2014, 03:37 PM
I would consider an apisto trio and maybe the neon tetras otherwise leave it alone. If the rams spawn it could be overcrowded with growing fry. I wouild prefer apistos over bolivian rams for a planted tetra tank as I am not sure how bolivian rams would dig into a planted tank if spawning. I would not consider an angel for that tank. But that is just me.

Demonfish
05-23-2014, 11:43 PM
neon = angelfish lunch

caricell
05-24-2014, 05:47 AM
I have 15 neons in with some large angels and have no problem. While I know that this is not *always* the case..a lot depends on the size of the neons.

neon = angelfish lunch

BobMajor
05-24-2014, 08:16 AM
When new fish are added to a tank they usually need time to adjust .When they are first put in they often dart around the tank or just hover in the corner getting the attention of the other fish in the tank.Since you already have had success keeping neons with your angels and want to add more I would introduce the new ones at night when the tank is dark so by morning they are adjusted and hopefully swimming in the school with the other neons.If you introduce them in the light and they act like I describe above they could draw the attention of the angel fish and rams as new food Good luck

Rhaethe
05-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks. :) I think what I will end up doing is go ahead and add in the green neons in the 40b now, and leave it at that. I am plotting a smaller tank in the future, and will probably place the apistos in there.

Demonfish
05-24-2014, 06:56 PM
I had small angels growing up in with neons in a 55 for years together. One day, one of the smarter females discovered that a neon now fit in her mouth. I witnessed the neon tail sticking out of her mouth. The rest of the neons were gone in a week. Then she laid eggs. The "they'll be fine if they grow up together" thing is a myth when cichlids are involved.

Fidaelio
05-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Does adding new fish in the dark always helps? or works only for Tetras? I'm planning to introduce 5 GBRs in a week to a tank that currently houses Dwarf Gourami, Pair of Sword Fish and 6 Green Tiger Barbs. Thinking about better way to introduce and not to trigger any aggression right away. I can move Tiger Barbs to another tank if they are not going to work.

When new fish are added to a tank they usually need time to adjust .When they are first put in they often dart around the tank or just hover in the corner getting the attention of the other fish in the tank.Since you already have had success keeping neons with your angels and want to add more I would introduce the new ones at night when the tank is dark so by morning they are adjusted and hopefully swimming in the school with the other neons.If you introduce them in the light and they act like I describe above they could draw the attention of the angel fish and rams as new food Good luck

Roger
05-27-2014, 05:13 PM
No and No. Depends on your fish not necessarily the type. If you walk in the room and lift the hood on your tank, do all your fish come running to the front to eat? Then whatever hits the water they look at as possible food and want to be first at eating it. The key is to break the routine. Adding the fish at night when they are not expecting food is one thing you can try. Also rearranging the tank to confuse the fish or maybe just chasing them around with a net for a few minutes. Maybe feed the fish until they are full then chase them. You want to add fish when the current tankmates are not in defending or eating modes.

Fidaelio
05-27-2014, 07:23 PM
If you walk in the room and lift the hood on your tank, do all your fish come running to the front to eat?

Yes, they are. Don't have hood but they even spit water and jump if anyone walks closer to the tank. Otherwise they are normal.

The key is to break the routine. Adding the fish at night when they are not expecting food is one thing you can try. Also rearranging the tank to confuse the fish or maybe just chasing them around with a net for a few minutes. Maybe feed the fish until they are full then chase them. You want to add fish when the current tankmates are not in defending or eating modes

Thanks will try this !