PDA

View Full Version : GBR Aggression

Fidaelio
06-09-2014, 03:27 PM
I have 4 blue Rams in this 30L tank sharing with Angels, Sword tails, Platy & dwarf Gourami. Recently have lot of aggression with 2 GBRs, they take turns and give each other the chase. they don't bother other 2 GBRs much or any other fish in the tank for that matter

Do you think this is female & pregnant (got pink belly) which could explain all, what i can i do to control this fight, had to move 5th GBR to different tank due to damaged eye by one of these two.

Chris Noto
06-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I have 4 blue Rams in this 30L tank sharing with Angels, Sword tails, Platy & dwarf Gourami. Recently have lot of aggression with 2 GBRs, they take turns and give each other the chase. they don't bother other 2 GBRs much or any other fish in the tank for that matter

By "30L," do you mean a thirty gallon long tank? That's about three feet by one foot, by sixteen inches tall? You don't show a full tank photo, but without significant rocks or wood to break up the sight lines that the fish have inside the aquarium, there will be no "safe place" for a fish who is low on the pecking order to retreat to or to hide in. That's why someone wound up getting injured. In the wild, the loser in a display of aggression leaves the field. In the ordinary sized home aquarium, without special measures like structure, that isn't possible, and the aggression continues.

Do you think this is female & pregnant (got pink belly) which could explain all, what i can i do to control this fight, had to move 5th GBR to different tank due to damaged eye by one of these two.

It is possible that you've had aggression between three females, one now removed.

The fish in these pictures, judging by the shortness of the front spines of the dorsal fin, the intensity of her coloring and the roundness of her belly, certainly seems to be a quite "ripe" female, that is, one with ovaries full of eggs that she is about ready to lay. Since cichlids are egg layers, they don't become pregnant. The female deposits eggs on a substrate and the male fertilizes them.

Larry Bugg
06-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Rams are VERY aggressive and territorial when spawning as are most of the dwarf cichlids. For this reason I usually don't recommend keeping more than one pair in a tank smaller than a 55. The only time I will keep more than this in a tank is in very large groups or groups of just males. If a tank is heavily planted so line of sight is very limited then you may be able to bend this rule some. There really isn't anything you can do other than separate the fish.

The picture you posted is a female. Is she hanging with one of the males? The females will be more round than males. The pink abdomen is a clear indicator of female. The anal and dorsal fins will not be as long as the males. The females usually stop at the start of the tail and the males usually extend further towards the tail. The first several dorsal rays of the males will usually be higher than the rest of the dorsal fins. (sometimes a females will be also). The dark black spot in the center of the body will sometimes have blue speckling on it in the females and not on the males. Males are usually a lot bigger than the females.

Fidaelio
06-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Yes, my tank is 30 Gallon Long and dimensions mentioned by Chris is right. Here is my tank's full picture. Based on both of your definition i clearly have 4 females, 2 males and 1 too young to determine. She is fighting with a male and not hanging around with any one, I might have mistakenly moved her husband to a different tank. Going to swap them back and see what happens. I agree my tank doesn't have much woods or plants, will add some to break their clear line of sight. So far i was not even successful spawning guppies :wall: any suggestion, how to make it work?

Larry Bugg
06-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes, my tank is 30 Gallon Long and dimensions mentioned by Chris is right. Here is my tank's full picture. Based on both of your definition i clearly have 4 females, 2 males and 1 too young to determine. She is fighting with a male and not hanging around with any one, I might have mistakenly moved her husband to a different tank. Going to swap them back and see what happens. I agree my tank doesn't have much woods or plants, will add some to break their clear line of sight. So far i was not even successful spawning guppies :wall: any suggestion, how to make it work?

They should spawn for you. Just be patient. What is the temp of the water? GBR's prefer warmer water like Discus. They do best above 80 and breed best around 84 - 85. Get a very small clay flower pot saucer. One of these smallest ones that are abut 3" or 4". Turn it upside down in the sand. They love these to spawn on. You won't be successful in a community tank though. They will get eaten as soon as they go free swimming if not sooner.

Fidaelio
06-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks Larry, I added a pot saucer to her territory. My blunder was moving her pair to a different tank. Aggression is now greatly reduced after reunion, now she wouldn't move 1 inch away from her pair, except to chase the young ones away. To my surprise another female is ready to spawn as well, wonder who her pair is, got all these Rams only last Thursday. Temperature is 82 in both tanks will gradually increase to 84.

They should spawn for you. Just be patient. What is the temp of the water? GBR's prefer warmer water like Discus. They do best above 80 and breed best around 84 - 85. Get a very small clay flower pot saucer. One of these smallest ones that are abut 3" or 4". Turn it upside down in the sand. They love these to spawn on. You won't be successful in a community tank though. They will get eaten as soon as they go free swimming if not sooner.

Fidaelio
06-11-2014, 02:31 PM
She spawned yesterday and there are about 40 eggs. How much time normally it takes for the eggs to hatch. If I carefully remove the eggs along with the rock and store it in a glass container covering its opening with a net and store it in same tank, will that work? Unfortunately i dont have a spare or breeding tank to move the big angels out.

Fidaelio
08-27-2014, 12:45 PM
After months of experiments I figured, have 3 breeding pairs of Blue Rams out of 7.

2 pairs are sharing space in a heavily planted 30L tank
1 pair is in a show tank of regular 55G sharing space with 4 Koi Angels, 5 Green Tiger Barbs, 2 Platty, 2 Sword Tails, 3 SAE and 2 Guppies

None of my Rams were good parents, so i remove the eggs and raise them in separate 20L tank. Until yesterday Tiger Barbs and 1 SAE were in 30L along with a dwarf gaurami. To my surprise, A pair of Blue Rams killed the gaurami and ferociously fought tiger barbs, that's when I noticed, they had free swimmers under a driftwood. Smart guys knew i will remove the eggs if laid on pot saucer. I moved all tiger barbs and SAE to 55 hoping they will continue to be good parents. Unfortunately today morning hardly 1 or 2 frys were swimming out of guard of their parents.

What can I do make this work next time? 2nd pair in 30L is now ready to breed.

1. Just keep 1 pair in 30L?
2. Should I keep some predator for them to constantly engage. (there will be 0% chance with Tiger Barbs)
3. Turn on the lights in the night?
4. Regularly feed them microworms so that they are not hungry?

mountainman36
08-27-2014, 01:43 PM
put just the rams in the tank on their own. feed them a lot, microworms at least twice a day.
turn off the light like normal, thats not an issue.

they fight other fish because they are protecing fry. if they dont have to fight other fishes, they an protect fry better

Fidaelio
08-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks for your response, my question was more on what can I do to stop parents eating their free swimmers.

put just the rams in the tank on their own. feed them a lot, microworms at least twice a day.
turn off the light like normal, thats not an issue.

they fight other fish because they are protecing fry. if they dont have to fight other fishes, they an protect fry better

jrpatter
08-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Remove the babies.

Larry Bugg
08-29-2014, 10:57 AM
GBR are usually terrible parents and eat the eggs/wigglers/free swimmers. There are always exceptions but this is the norm IMO. If you want to raise them, separate them.

Fidaelio
08-31-2014, 01:58 AM
Thanks Larry, sounds like thats the only option !